"Pins and needles" after diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Lamont,

1. Any history back injury or abnormality?
2. Any history of treatment for back or lower extremity complaints?
3. Are the lower leg pins-and-needles sensations post-dive accompanied by pain, weakness or other signs or symptoms?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

fisherdvm:
Hey, this reminds me. Everytime I sit in my cold cold car to wait for it to warm up, I get this burning sensation on my right thigh. I think cold temperature can trigger some spasms or something that affects the cutanous nerves.

Never had any problem during the years of the wet & freezing British winter though.

fisherdvm:
send a picture of where the sensation is, we can look it up for you where the nerve starts and ends.

Well, it happened all over the back of my two thighs and very brieftly on my left upper arm near the shoulder. That's about it.

rakkis:
Are you keeping yourself hydrated when you go to this place where you dive in "cold" :wink: water?

Some people tend not to think about drinking water as much when they go to cooler climates on vacation. Perhaps this is a contributing factor in your case.

Always had a glass of water in my hand, and it's rather warm topside.

Thanks anyway :D

DocVikingo:
Hi Lamont,

1. Any history back injury or abnormality?
2. Any history of treatment for back or lower extremity complaints?
3. Are the lower leg pins-and-needles sensations post-dive accompanied by pain, weakness or other signs or symptoms?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

nope, nope, nope.

also, while it goes away when i set my tanks down, it also doesn't come back after i strip out of my drysuit and pick the tanks back up again... so, we're talking about a matter of minutes...

also not associated with any itchiness anywhere...

I think pins and needles on the thigh, anterior, posterior and lateral are due to impingement of the cutanous nerves by the fascia. With exertion, the numerous perforating branches of the cutanous nerves get "pinched" or traumatized by the fascia, and can cause the "pin and needle" sensation.

Second, cold temperature will decrease blood flow to these nerves, and cause them to fire.

I would say, over the last year, at least 2 of my patients have asked me about symptoms like this. I usually tell them not to worry about it.

But if a pattern is formed along a lumbar nerve distribution, it certainly can be a spinal problem like a herniated disc.

Peripheral neuropathies usually involve the hands and the feet, so I do not suspect it to be a cause in these cases.

But I am not a neurologist.

LittleFrogFish:
Reckon I'd do well as a frog fish? Or should I be my shark self :wink:

I think I prefer you as a shark... :eyebrow: Of course if we continue that conversation here we'll probably be banned. :no

Interesting. I have a newer drysuit in which I cut the neck seal a little too loose. I'll compare my experiences with each to see if it makes a difference -- if so, maybe the "too tight" theory holds water :) I just figured it was my skin on my face warming up after being cold for so long, like after a long walk in the snow.

lamont:
nope, nope, nope.

Hi Lamont,

Then there seems little reason to be concerned about earlier suggestions regarding a possible herniated disc or sciatica.

As I've been emphasizing in my posts in this thread, cutaneous nerve compression related to thermal protection/gear issues is where one probably should begin in ruling out causes of such paresthesias.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom