Pinnacle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martini_effect

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm an experienced warm water diver, doing my first colder water dives this summer.
at the end of the summer I will be doing some mixed gas diving at around 14 c (57f) with deco at around 19c (66f) the dive duration should be around 2 hours.

I'm looking at getting a pinnacle polar semi dry (7/5) with Merino lining, or perhaps a pinncale arctic (7/5) with 5/5 vest/hood

I would really appreciate anyone with experience / comments on these suits

thanks

Get a drysuit. You're gonna freeze.

Rachel

i would have to disagree on the freezing part, but then again I like diving in that temperature range. I know it is a hell of alot warmer then when I did my check out dives way back in dec 2003 on the east coast of canada, now that was cold.

Anyways I wear a 7mm one piece Pinnacle suit, think it is the charger not sure though, great price on it about $200, and I find I am rather toasty in it, but then again the water of California to me is warm and everyone around here(Phoenix) finds it cold.

So ultimately if you find the water where you dive to be warm, which I believe was Thailand, then I would suggest you go with a 7mm minimum, probably a farmer john would suit you, but then again as I said earlier I enjoy that temperature range.

Take everything I said with a grain of salt and consult people you frequently dive with in your region and if they have dove colder water before see what they wore and what they woud recommend. Everyone is different, and because I find that water warm you may be cold in it.

Hope that helps i know I was a bit wishy washy there, but like I said it all comes down to what temp range you are comfortable diving in.

Steve

Thanks Steve
I think I'll try the Pinnacle - I have 3 months to acclimatize in UK waters before the trip to Sicily.

anyone else reckon I could get away with not wearing a drysuit?

i just bought a pinnacle polar today and took a cold shower in it. i was ok.:D :D :D
seriously, though, mine did arrive today and i got about a hundred compliments on what a great suit it is as i walked out the door. i haven't been able to dive with it yet but im really jazzed about it if that helps any.

The reason I say "drysuit" is not because a normal dive couldn't be done in a 7mm but because a 90 minute hang in those temps will end up being brutal. No activity makes everything feel 5 degrees colder, IMO.

Plus, I'm not sure what set-up the OP will be using, but if steel doubles are the thing, and in Europe it's likely to be that way, then the redundant buoyancy will be good as well.

Rachel

Hi Rachel
I would normally agree with you, but I've heard great things about the Pinnacle suits with Merino lining...they are a fairly small company at the moment but by all accounts provide amazing thermal protection for a semi dry...(this is just what I've heard).

I'm just after some comments from people who have completed long (90-120 mins)deco dives with these suits in colder water (55-65f) to see what they think

you're right about the double tanks, but will have a double bladder wing for redundant buoyancy

I've also heard great things about Pinnacle suits. My comments are in no way a knock against them at all. I'm pretty sure that no matter how warm and wonderful they are there is no way that I could do the dives you're talking about comfortably. I just did hour hangs as a support diver in a 3mm and 82 degree water and came up slightly chilled. That temp and suit for a "dive" are a great combination for me and I haven't had any chilly issues, but the lack of activity really takes a toll as far as warmth goes as far as my body is concerned.

Rachel

Hi Rachel
I see your point.
I think I'll get one and see what happens in controlled conditions before I undertake anything too extreme.
The water here in the south of England is about 51f now. I'll take one on a shore dive and see if I can do a shallow 2 hour dive with minimal exertion and how cold it gets.

I agree with Biscuit... you may be better off with a dry suit. As a warm water to cold water diver, you may not be physically/mentally adjusted to the temperature. Besides, 2 hours is a REALLY long time to be cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom