pinnacle vs. xcel wetsuits???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey guys -

I'm debating between getting the pinnacle merino lined 5/4 mm and the xcel 5/4/3 mm. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on the differences between the two suits? They both have a lifetime warranty and are in the same price range. I do get cold fairly easily...ie - diving in florida in the summer with a full 3mm and a 3mm hooded vest and still cold. Does the merino lining in the pinnacle really make that big of a difference or is it all hype? Insights would be greatly appreciated!

Huge difference, the merino lining is incredible. I have had a merino lined suit, the Artic for about 3 years and its awesome. I just brought the line into my store too. I had a couple other wetsuit lines that I tried first, but they didnt compare so Im clearing them out and bringin in Pinnacle. They really are awesome suits. As for the Xcel, I have never dove one so I cant give you a direct comparison, but I strongly standby my opinion as the Pinnacle being the Warmest wetsuit I have ever owned and Dove!

I just looked at Xcels website and remembering seeing them at DEMA(big scuba convention).....Im not trying to change your mind about them, remember I never dove one, but I wasnt too impressed by them.......

Mike

I have that exact Pinnacle suit, and it's awesome, I dove on a wreck this summer in Lake Erie where the water temp was 42 on the bottom, and I was very comfortable with a core warmer underneath. It's also flexible, which makes for a really nice comfortable fit, easy to get on a off, and to top it off, it's one of the most well constructed suits I've seen. All the seam intersections have reinforcement patches, and it is overall a fabulous piece of gear, definetly one of the best choices I've made.

I cannot comment from experience on the Pinnacle as I haven't dove one, but I own or have owned Xcel, Henderson (regular, goldcore and hyperstretch), Scuba Pro and Tilos wetsuits. I currently have three Xcels - a 1.5mm Xpedition, a 3/2mm Icon and a 9/7/6 Polar. I am very happy with the construction and design of the Xcels. Obviously, I liked the first one well enough to buy two more and when my Henderson 5mm Goldcore finally gives up I'll replace it with an Xcel. As far as the Pinnacle merino lining being exothermic - well, the merino lining may help keep you warm as wool is an excellent insulator even when wet, but it does not produce significant measurable heat when fully immersed in water. That is a pure BS marketing claim. My partner's obsession is spinning and knitting (it's almost as bad as my scuba obsession) and we have several merino fleeces in the basement and friends with merino sheep in their fields:).

JMO,
Jackie

I never heard anyone claim that the merino wool warmed you up under water like you say....I have never heard of any material producing measurable heat?? Im a bit confused by your comment....Maybe Im misunderstanding what you said. But the point is for it to keep you insulated like you said.....If it keeps you insulated, you lose less of your body heat, thus keeping you warmer....If I misunderstood what you said, please clarify as I dont have any sheep......

Dive Right In Scuba:
I never heard anyone claim that the merino wool warmed you up under water like you say....I have never heard of any material producing measurable heat?? Im a bit confused by your comment....Maybe Im misunderstanding what you said. But the point is for it to keep you insulated like you said.....If it keeps you insulated, you lose less of your body heat, thus keeping you warmer....If I misunderstood what you said, please clarify as I dont have any sheep......

That is the claim that Pinnacle makes.

Jackie

I have the Pinnacle merino lined 5mm suit, and it is the best wetsuit I have ever owned. The quality of the suit is much higher than my Bare 7mm suit. Plus the merino wool lining really does help keep you warmer, and makes for a very comfortable suit to wear.

Really? Where? I saw this on the site:
The Merino™ lining in a wetsuit absorbs and retains any water entering the suit. The retained water swells in the Merino™ lining. In laboratory tests, Merino™ held 30% more water than the best synthetic linings. This is because the Merino™ fibres absorb moisture, whereas synthetics can't. This creates a water-logged layer of up to 3mm between the neoprene and your skin. Merino™ is 'exothermic', which means it releases a significant amount of heat as it absorbs water. This helps you to warm your "water-skin" quicker. The weave of the Merino™ lining also helps to reduce the movement of water inside the suit. Because this layer of saturated Merino™ is primarily water, it is not affected by depth. So as the neoprene crushes and becomes less effective, your 3mm layer of drenched Merino™ retains its thermal insulating properties. In recent tests by the British Textile Technology Group, Merino™ proved to offer a 35% increase in thermal efficiency, in both dry and saturated conditions, over the best synthetic linings.

Is that what you were talking about? I didnt know that about the exothermic.......

Pinnacle all the way. The merino makes a huge difference and just the way the suit is constructed with stress disks and stitching make it worth every penny.

My wife who is always cold, just loved her new Pinnacle suit 5/4 suit during a recent livaboard trip.

She was warm during every dive, much warmer than when using a 3 mil farmerJane 2 piece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom