Pinnacle Evo 2 drysuit reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had nothing but awesome customer service, I would put the repayment in the hands of your LDS, you bough it from them, not Pinnacle. I cant believe they would do this as I know all of the guys there and Customer Service is their main goal. It seems there is probably more to the story than meets the eye........I would try calling Pinnacle yourself if your LDS isnt getting anywhere. If you want, PM me and I will get in touch and find out more about whats going on. Customer Service is from your LDS, unless you have talked with Pinnacle....He should be going to war for you to get you what you need from any Manuf. I have never had to with Pinnacle and I have had fit situations like yours....I would put more pressure on your LDS....Good luck:wink:

I find irony in the fact that it is you who responded to my posting! After I returned the suit I ended up contacting your organization (Dive Right In Scuba) and purchasing a White's Dry suit. I received your White's drysuit within 24 hours of my order (totally awesome turn around!!). I love the suit, and best of all received great customer service from you and your organization. I'd order from you guys again in the future.

As far as the Pinnacle situation is concerned, the sales clerk with whom my LDS was communicating said at least 10 business days to even open the returned suit to look at it before they begin the process of refunding because they just moved their office. That was 11/29. After dealing with another individual at the LDS store, I finally got my LDS owner involved on Monday. He said he spoke to the GM there and got the same story (busy moving, and everything is still in boxes...), but promised to get a response to my LDS today. I have heard nothing from my LDS with regard to a response. I am seeing a correlation between what businesses often do at year end and a shell game - balk until after the New Year to make any sort of financial restitution so as their revenue for the current year is not adversely affected. I cannot say for certain that this is the case with Pinnacle, but the end of year is fast approaching and the LDS as well as Pinnacle will be off for the holidays.

I will see if I can get response from Pinnacle on here next week. It really doesn't sound like anything that I have heard from them before. There are only 2 people that answer the phone there, so there really are no corporate "layers" to go through get a problem fixed. Anyway your shop should have given you a refund and then worked out the the rest with Pinnacle directly.

Paul

I find irony in the fact that it is you who responded to my posting! After I returned the suit I ended up contacting your organization (Dive Right In Scuba) and purchasing a White's Dry suit. I received your White's drysuit within 24 hours of my order (totally awesome turn around!!). I love the suit, and best of all received great customer service from you and your organization. I'd order from you guys again in the future.

As .

LOL....I didnt know your handle....Did you get my email about the price of the pockets? Im glad you love the suit and had a great cave class!!:D Im extremely glad it got there in time for class, they scared me a little bit on that one:popcorn:

I have one and really like it so far, though I only have 2 dives on it. My previous suit was a Bare CD4, so going from compressed neoprene to the shell is quite a change. It's very flexible, but also obviously a lot colder so I am figuring out the best thermals still.

It's easy to don/doff and it is bone dry. As others said, get the boots upsized by one.

I got a Large Short, which I am a PERFECT fit for per the size chart. (I am 5' 9", inseam 30".) However the suit feels a little short in the legs to me. If I hike it up to my crotch, there's simply not enough slack in the legs. Now, all I have to do is NOT yank it up all the way, but still, it seems a little strange for it to fit that way. I had to lengthen the suspenders a couple of inches past their longest setting--
a few minutes with some 1/8" bungee, no problem.

When the suit is draped on me properly for good flexibility, the pocket flaps are right at my fingertips, so... I guess it's all as designed. And it is fine in the water.

Another fellow on the board with a Large Short had similar observations. So do try it on if you can, or wait until they are doing custom sizing... It's a great suit.

WRT travel: compared to my 4mm compressed neoprene suit, this seems easy to travel with. :)

OK, I found this thread!
First let me say I really like the Evo 2, though to be honest I do not have much to compare it to as it is my first dry suit.
Now that my disclaimer is done, I can make my review.
The suit is very stiff when it arrives, after a few dives it is much better. In the water, it is very soft and easy to move in. I stayed dry all weekend and it was great! The seals, as DavidP mentioned, are quite thick. They just feel solid as opposed to other seals that just feel like they are going to tear. The pockets are great for me, though some think they are small. The pockets are smaller then the pockets on my X-shorts, but those may be too big (too much drag). I was able to fit the same items (spare mask and shears in my right pocket, reel and wetnotes in my left) in my pockets as I do diving my X-Shorts.
Self donning and doffing is pretty easy, even for a new drysuit diver.
Now, the off the shelf size.... USE THE SIZE CHART MIKE (Dive Right In Scuba) MENTIONED. In fact, buy the suit from someone experienced with the sizing of this suit and who has a solid relationship with Pinnacle. I can't recommend Mike at Dive Right In Scuba enough, good price and great service. (by the way, the folks at Pinnacle have pretty good customer service as well)
Lastly let me tell you the only "downside" of this suit. It is 100% cordura as the outer part of the shell, so it is tough as nails. This suit will probably last forever, but it does not pack small. It is not really a travel suit. For me, local beach diving, boat diving or going across to Catalina, it is perfect!
Oh yeah..one more thing.. Pinnacle tells me that they now do custom sizing of the EVO 2. Something to think about. :wink:

Thanks all who have posted here. I've been looking at the EVO-2, but was a little concerned about sizing. Can anyone confirm if Pinnacle is doing custom sizing for this suit or at the very least if they will be making it in a Large Tall size in the near future. I'm looking for a suit that fits well since I can see my self using it for some cave classes in the next year or so. It seems like a L would be too short for me, I'm 6'-2" 170lb, but I would be swimming in an XL suit. (no pun intended). Any advice would be greatly appricated. Also does anyone have any experience with how long it takes this suit to dry compared to other nylon outter tri-lams. Does the courdaroy soak up water and take a long time to dry like a neoprene suit would?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

I haven't timed it, but it does dry faster than my compressed neoprene suit.

One thing I did not expect--because it is self-donning with a diagonal zipper, when I put it on the rack to hose it off, it's easy to get some water inside the torso/neck area. With a back zip that didn't happen. It's not a big deal, it dries quickly and if there is any water inside the next day I just wipe it up before heading out.

They just started doing full custom suits. The lead time is about 1 month, most are coming out quicker though......

If your interested in a full custom, PM me and I will pay for your alteration if you buy the suit :D

Hey Dive Right In Scuba, just sent you a PM. Thanks all for the info, I'm sold on the Evo 2 and hope to order one sometime soon.

I'm very interested in this suit, but concerned about warmth. I dove a compressed neoprene suit today with only swimming trunks on in 42 degree water and felt perfect. I've dove 3 times with DUI Trilams with different undergarmets and each time I froze. What's the secret? I am really thinking I want compressed neoprene, but I like this suit.

What advice can you offer to make my warmth concerns go away?

S. Nagel

The Evo 2 won't be any warmer than the DUI you tried. It has zero inherent insulation. With the right undies it will still be warm--you just have to figure out what works for you.

If you are a person who gets cold easily, you may be better off staying with a compressed neoprene suit.

Back
Top Bottom