Pinnacle Elastiprene Merino 5mm in 64F water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am getting ready to get some local diving done and trying to figure out my exposure protection choices. The water in the quarry (Dutch Springs) is 73F on the surface and about 64F at 40 ft (not sure about deeper). Local shop recommends at least 7mm suit.

I have purchased a 5mm Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene full suit some time back.
PINMEM5.jpg

I remember reading some discussions in this forum of this suit being warmer compared to other 5mm suits out there due to the seals (although I wore this suit with a rash guard under it in Cozumel in 83F water and felt fine). What are my choices of layering here? I understand I can either go with a simple 3mm vest (or hooded vest) or a step in jacket - will either one be sufficient for this water? Is one warmer than the other? Should I get a vest with hood attached or a separate hood? Any other options besides buying a dedicated 7mm suit or a dry suit? Thanks!

BRES3VM.jpg
BRES3JM.jpg

Last edited:
Being at dutch many times, I have to say go with a 7mm as on the surface might not be too bad you will quickly notice once you get through the 1st thermocline. I am sure it's do able but might get cold. Again everyones cold tolerances are different I have seen people dive in 7mm no hood/gloves but they usually stay above thermocline.

If you plan on diving there 7mm w/hood-gloves is recomended. I personally use a drysuit where ever I dive. I seen people up at Dutch in APril in wetsuit so anything is possible it just comes down to how comfortable you will be. Multiple dives etc. will all play a role in that. Since you already have the suit you can try it out but I think 7mm/hood/gloves would be more appropriate for a good dive

I have done mid 60s in 5mm full suits - both Pinnacle ME and Henderson Gold Core. The ME is a bit warmer. For one, maybe two, dives to 40 feet, you may be a bit cool but it should be no problem. I have done 4 dives in a day with depth in the 80 to 100 ft range and that got to be colder than I could tolerate. I have taken my ME down to 50 degrees at 40 ft by adding a hooded vest and a chemical heater for one dive and that was not too uncomfortable. 7mm will clearly work fine but a hooded vest and/or chemical heaters is probably a lot cheaper if you find the 5mm is pushing it.

BTW, if you pour a 1/2 gal of warm water down the wetsuit before you jump in, you will avoid the initial cold water shock and delay any uncomfortable cooling.

Thanks, it sounds like 5mm suit with a 3 mm vest should work. Any experiences layering Pinnacle ME suit? Which brand chicken vest (hooded chicken vest) works best with the neck seals on this suit? Or is 3mm step-in a better option?

I use a hooded vest under the full suit. It has a rubber skin on the outside of the neck that seals well with the ME neck seal.

Mine is an XCEL, whatever that is (from ebay). My wife has a Pinnacle ME hooded vest and it has a very elaborate neck seal designed to fold over the outside jumpsuit. Keep is to minimize water flow through the neck

I have the same Pinnacle Merino wetsuit in 3mm and and the Pinnacle hooded vest with a 3mm in chest and 7mm hood and I stay plenty warm in 50 degree water for 2-3 dives a day

Should I be concerned with the fact that extremities and etc aren't protected with a vest? I am considering core only hooded vest like this
PINHVM5M.jpg
with a step-in type similar to this
BRES5HV.JPG

Should I be concerned with the fact that extremities and etc aren't protected with a vest? I am considering core only hooded vest like this
PINHVM5M.jpg
with a step-in type similar to this
BRES5HV.JPG

I don't seem to have any problem with my extremities or my etc getting cold so the simple hooded vest works great for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom