Pinnacle Elastiprene Merino 5mm in 64F water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with the pinnacle hooded vest. It has a neck seal that works very well with the neck seal on their suits. I have the 7mm (not merlino) full suit and the 3/5 hooded vest and I'm very comfortable even at depth at Dutch. I have also dived there in a 4/3 full suit and generic hooded vest. Not back above 30 feet, but not so great for long periods below that depth.

I dove my 5mm Pinnacle merino suit on two, one hour dives last week. We wore gloves and no hoods. This was fine as long as we stayed above 40' below that I was feeling it on my head. The rest of my body stayed warm.

I could have worn a hood, but I hate wearing them unless I have too. I would rather stay above the thermocline.

Unless you are really cold natured, I think you will be fine. In my opinion, the Pinnacle suit is as warm as the 7mm farmer john that I rented last winter. Try it and see how it goes.

I have the 5mm Pinnacle Merino and I have had 6 dive in 46 degree water in it (45 to 60 min average dive times ) I was just cool to me . When the surface to 30' was at 70's to 64 degreesI was too hot I could not get to the cooler depthes. I have a 5 MILL hood and5 MIL SCUBAPRO gloves ,5 MIL pinnical boots w/ 2 mil neoprean sockes Merino claim to keep you 35 percent wormer than a reg. 5 mil wetsuite. I think that is close (in my opinion)

I had that suit in those temps this weekend at Portage. With 5mm gloves and 2mm hood. I was ok for the brief times we were down there. It was much better on Sunday with the drysuit. Yes I am spoiled. Went dry 4 months after cert for anything less than 70-72 and staying that way!

I would go with the pinnacle hooded vest. It has a neck seal that works very well with the neck seal on their suits. I have the 7mm (not merlino) full suit and the 3/5 hooded vest and I'm very comfortable even at depth at Dutch. I have also dived there in a 4/3 full suit and generic hooded vest. Not back above 30 feet, but not so great for long periods below that depth.

Hm, I was planning to wear my 5mm Pinnacle Merino suit with the 3/5 hooded vest. Now I wonder if that's going to be enough protection below 40 ft at 64F...

Hm, I was planning to wear my 5mm Pinnacle Merino suit with the 3/5 hooded vest. Now I wonder if that's going to be enough protection below 40 ft at 64F...

It all depends on how you take the cold and how long you are down. I'm planning on hitting some good depths wet this weekend at Dutch. Maybe get out to the pump-house for a nice dive.

If you are up this weekend (Saturday in particular) I will be on the Student Side with Indian Valley Scuba. There is a big group of students and divers. Stop by and say hello. I can even provide a nice tour of some of the attractions, most above or close to the thermocline. :D I'm always happy to dive with someone new to the Quarribean.

I look like my avatar, I assume you aren't actually a penguin. I will probably be wearing the hat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom