Pinnacle / DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpdivers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Simply put...why shouldn't I spend 1600.00 for a custom Evolution - Pinnacle or why shouldn't I just bite the bullet and spend 2800.00 for a custom TLS350? I'm open to the constructive criticism on both and welcome your critical comments about the Pinnacle as the 1200.00 savings could buy me a less expensive back-up suit if I wanted.

Simply put...why shouldn't I spend 1600.00 for a custom Evolution - Pinnacle or why shouldn't I just bite the bullet and spend 2800.00 for a custom TLS350? I'm open to the constructive criticism on both and welcome your critical comments about the Pinnacle as the 1200.00 savings could buy me a less expensive back-up suit if I wanted.

I think you answered the question yourself already. Many feel the Pinnacle is a higher quality suit.

You may also want to consider the White's Fusion Tech.

I bought the TLS350 brand new, but as new old stock so I got it for $1400. I wouldn't pay full price for it. It's not a bad suit, it's incredibly comfortable, the lightest suit on the market and dries in minutes. That's really handy on week long diving vacations when you get some leakage, unlike a neoprene suit which will stay wet all week. The exhaust valve sucks...it doesn't vent too easy and it sucks in water if you leave it any more than 5 clicks(or so) closed, at which point it doesn't vent unless you put some serious air against it. It's easy to replace, however(Si-Tech's are popular exhaust valves). I've found it to be more durable and rugged a suit than expected. Don't let the lightweight flexible construction fool you, this suit IS bombproof, no joke. For your consideration, my profile is mostly wreck diving on unintentional shipwrecks(i.e. NOT diver friendly) and also just got into cave diving. If you're not so sold on the ruggedness, just add some kneepads.

The Pinnacle is also bombproof. After seeing my buddies I'm pretty impressed. It costs a hell of a lot less but lacks the not-so-like-a-drysuit comfort factor. If I were to replace my TLS350 and couldn't find a nice deal on a new one, I'd get a Pinnacle Evo II front entry, hands down, over all other suits out there, unless I'm consistently doing sub 40* temperatures, at which point I'd probably get a Bare XCD2 for that little extra bit of insulation offered by neoprene. CF200 is WAY overpriced IMHO, but that's a different discussion.

Either are great suits. Think about how much money you want to spend, and if you want 100% functionality or 90% functionality(that can be made 100%) with some creature comforts. Try and test dive both. Also, check DUI's factory closeout list and see if you can get a deal.

I have an EVO II and I love it. It's my first drysuit I never had a course and the suit dives very well. I'm going to get some extra weights soon so I can dive with my thick undergarment I bought back during the summer. I tried it with not enough weight and I was a cork on the surface.

I dive a Pinnacle EVO 2, and I love it. Like you, I was considering a DUI, but the cost was pretty steep for me--

Keep in mind that the EVO 2 comes with two thigh pockets standard. (they are a little small in my opinion, but I still have no problem filling them with a light, SMB, Reel, and other goodies). The suit also comes with a warm neck collar, and VERY thick wrist seals. Compare the wrist seals on the EVO 2 to the stock ones on a TLS350. The EVO 2 also has knee pads which are nice.

All said, the EVO 2 is a lot of suit for the money. The cordura outside is pretty strong too, and it dries quickly, although not as quickly as a TLS350.

If you can get a custom fit one, go for it. I was lucky enough to fit into a stock ML which was nice.

DUI makes really nice suits, but in my opinion, you get a lot more for your money with the Pinnacle EVO 2.

As tough and durable as the Evo2 is, you won't need another suit. They have a wide range of sizes so find yourself a local dealer and try some on. You may find the perfect fit. You'll be $1200 or so poorer but much more comfy during the winter diving.

I was looking at the DUIs as well but the cost is staggering, yes, they have the zip seals, but is it worth an extra 1000.00 to you ? there was a company at DEMA that was introducing a type of zip seal to be fitted to any dry suit...so youre spending about 300.00 compared to a 1000.00, plus other companies such as dive rite, include pockets at no extra cost. the Pinnacle is a great suit, as well as the Whites, which won the editors pick as best suit...so good luck on your decision..

Ditto with my Pinnacle Freedom DS. Its great, costs less than $1000, trilam, comes with a thigh pocket and suspenders standard. The wrist and neck seals are very thick and durable too. Custom sizing is not available, but I got a large/short which fits well. combine the DS with menino undergarment, rock boots, hood and drygloves, and you still be about $1400 less than then TLS350.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom