Pinnacle 3mm Advice requested - Merino or Elastiprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First some background. In another thread I was convinced that it was worth buying a 3mm suit even though I won't be using it more than a couple weeks a year :)

I am a big Pinnacle fan. Currently own an 7mm Merino-Elastiprene. Love it. Fits great. I know they cost a bit more, but I know they fit me well. So I plan to get another Pinnacle. I don't want to spend the money however on a 3mm Merino-Elastiprene, so to save a few bucks, I've got to pick one or the other. Get the Seal with merino, or get the Elastiprene?

Whatcha all think?

I tried both on and went with the Elastiprene. I was much more comfortable and giving. The seal felt rigid in comparison.

Michael

I have the Seal and think it's a great suit. But having said that I've never tried on an Elastiprene suit. I don't have a problem with the suit being too rigid, even my 7mm Pinnacle Cruiser is the standard neoprene.

One thing that you are going to find with Pinnacles wetsuits are the different types of neoprene. For example, the Elastiprene is very comfortable and it stretches very easy and feels very soft to the touch. You actually feel like it's part of your skin.

They also use another type of neoprene say the Polar which is far more rigid and tougher to the touch. I tried to get into the Polar and it took me 15 minutes and I felt very uncomfortable in my movements.

There is a difference you will pay for choosing one or the other; The polar will give you better resiliance against the cold water at deeper depths than the Elastiprene which will crush and lose the airbubbles that protect you.

But it's at a cost, very uncomfortable than the Elastiprene. Try to figure out where your majority of dives will be, what depth and how long, just an idea is going to help you make the decision.

I'm personally in love with my 3 piece setup which includes my ME-7, heated torso, hooded vest all which are Merino linned.

I would probably go with the Seal if I was going down in deeper waters and the Elastiprene if they were going to be more shallow dives; which would give me so much more comfort.

You could always add another small skin later to the Elastiprene if you do get cold.

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom