Pink dolphins are being slaughtered for bait

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw this article in the Christian Science Monitor:

Pink dolphins are being slaughtered for bait - CSMonitor.com

My question is: Where is Ric O'Barry from "The Cove" movie? These dolphins are more endangered than the slaugther of them in Japan. They are going to end up going extinct like the Chinese River Dolphin: "The Baiji" Sadly too, the Gulf of California Porpoise: "The Vaquita", the Ganges River Dolphin in India, and the Maui Dolphin of New Zealand are facing extinction too.

Lock Washer

Amazing...no response at all. I guess the Amazon River Dolphins are not "goodlooking" or "sexy" enough to gather any attention.

Lock Washer

Nobody on this board likes to see our precious sea creatures killed, but here is some food for thought from a devil's advocate:

I don't want to get into a religious debate, but I don't take any science contributed by the "Christian Science Monitor" to be valid. The author even uses the word "species" to refer to all freshwater dolphins around the world, which is inaccurate. Furthermore, if the population is dropping by 7% every year, which "translates to about 1500 dolphins" that means their current population stands at around 21,000 animals which, in endemic megafauna terms, isn't all that bad and certainly puts it better off than the Ganges dolphin.

It sounds like this a problem brought about by poverty and the remoteness of the amazon, two factors that make regulation near impossible. Desperate times...

So my response is it sounds like someone wants to draw attention away from animals that need it (the vaquita, Maui dolphin). If environmentalists weren't so ADD, they'd realize that you can't change everything. Focus on an issue, follow it through, then tackle the next one. Personally, I believe we need to focus less on saving one species and more on preserving ecosystems, but then that's my opinion and while everyone has one, they all stink.

All I got out of the above posts are: I want to save everything that has a chance to evolve or become extinct - I can do this with a hammer, a pink dolphin hammer because that is anything.

Actually this article appeared in other new sources too...I could have easierly grabbed another website with the same article. Just got it off the Christian Science Monitor.

On the Vaquita itself..that porpoise is in the worst shape numbers wise....somewhere around 200 animals left. I do have a thread on it currently in the Marinelife and Ecosystems section.

The Maui Dolphin is down to around 111 animals itself.

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom