Mekong dolphins on the brink of extinction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like we got another species of dolphin disappearing...the Irrawaddy Dolphin: Here is the story from the WWF (and I don't mean he World Wrestling Federation).

WWF International - Mekong dolphins on the brink of extinction

F.Y.I. In Mexico: The Gulf of California Porpoise..."The Vaquita" is down to 150 animals left. In New Zealand: the Maui Dolphin is down 111 animals left. In India: The Ganges River Dolphin is down to less than 2000 animals left. The Chinese River Dolphin..."The Baija" just went extinct. The Chinese have taken the last of the Finless Porpoise in captivity to save it. The ironic thing is most people have never heard of dolphins like these. We are so familiar with the typical "Flipper" type dolphin: The Atlantic Bottlenose, or "Shamu" Killer Whales, that are in people's minds: we don't realize there are other species.

Lock Washer

Well...I will say this about the Irrawaddy Dolphin. Its a really unique dolphin. It can live in both salt and fresh water. It also has the ability to spit a stream of water out its mouth. But if you really want to see one up close...there's a couple of aquariums in Asia that do have them on display. One of them is Oasis Sea World in Thailand. Here is the link if anyone is interested...

Oasis Sea World - Thai Dolphins Show, Chanthaburi Thailand - Swim with Dolphins.

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom