Pilot program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No joke about adjusting the aspirator correctly, I learned the hard way to test with purge and make sure it is not prone to free flow before taking a breath.

I have extras of the pilot specific orings, and will send a few your way in the morning.
Thank you sir! Let me know what I owe you for the parts and postage.

now I’m wondering if an AIR1 can be retro’d to a pilot :wink:

I installed pilot internals into the AIR1 case a while back and it seemed to work, never took it for a test dive though. No cost for a few orings, happy to contribute to the project.

Kupu, o rings have arrived, thank you.

on to Pilot 2, i thought I may as well take it apart and clean it up but found a problem when I opened it up, someone in the past put the wrong set screw (Pilot/lever adjusting screw) and it was rusted in place, I’ve been alternating between soaking in wintergreen oil (rust penetrating) and ultra sonic and trying to loosen it but the Allen finally stripped so went to an attempt the clamp onto the piece sticking out, that broke off o_O

so either try drilling a hardened set screw or fire up an old watchmaker trick, this may take days if it works at all, attempting to dissolve the steel screw with alum, mixed up a few spoonfuls
EDED4F30-ED69-4322-B0B6-4895A35D2627.jpeg

mixed in boiling water
and suspended in the mix
DFDE78AE-8420-4832-9203-A07F05851027.jpeg

its cooling off with the storms coming through so, build a fire in the stove to keep it warm and now wait
53E76468-7B85-4F65-A86C-D10D6A3A3692.jpeg

this is the starting point
7738DEEF-6C7A-4789-B00F-9AE1D6BA2419.jpeg

Last one I had like that, I drilled out with a bit sized just shy of the ID, then picked the remaining thread fragments out of the orifice. A PITA, but it worked.

Last one I had like that, I drilled out with a bit sized just shy of the ID, then picked the remaining thread fragments out of the orifice. A PITA, but it worked.
After a few days I found the alum attacking the housing more than the screw, ended up drilling it but damaged a few threads before I could get all of it out, built the threads up with some marine jb weld, tapped and put a new screw in it, not sure if it’s from a D420 or D400, extended tip, the regulator popped before opening so this morning I put a radius on the end of the screw
13AE7722-07DD-4D53-9EB1-63030CB9BA0E.jpeg

using a dremel, the lever on the pilot is flat and works against the ball, my assumption being the flat of the screw head was hanging it up, and now the pop is gone. I’m having a bit of a hang up with the seat sealing after it’s tripped, if I shut the air off it seats and won’t leak until I breath from it again, wondering if it’s the tiny silicone o ring in the pilot?? So many concurrent projects like trying to get rid of a ground squirrel invasion.

Waiting for some helicoils for the one unit, the thread repair attempt just doesn’t feel solid enough…
in the mean time
Meet the Air-Pilot 1
8A6C32DD-8A75-4B76-8D44-8BA2DA4B2AD4.jpeg
978C0BB6-C1FF-4D41-BB1C-F7B37693C6BD.jpeg
A01194D8-8665-49A5-978C-D1D2E8579756.jpeg

i have to figure out why my pics end up sideways one of these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom