Pictures of Carter Personal Float SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this most commonly used as an SMB or DSMB? Doesn't look like the sort of thing that could be easily towed around....

(...in the market for a DSMB)

Jim

GoBlue!:
Is this most commonly used as an SMB or DSMB? Doesn't look like the sort of thing that could be easily towed around....

(...in the market for a DSMB)

Jim

I've heard the two terms but I am not sure I completely understand the difference yet. If the only difference is that the SMB is inflated and used a a visual signal only on the surface, and a DSMB is sent to the surface from depth, then I don't understand the question. Why would this be difficult to tow around? Is it the cloth collar at the bottom that concerns you?

Can any of you Carter owners out there comment on the Sea Anchor effect of this when towing it? I would think it would be minimal given the diameter. Does the "cloth collar" decribed by Carter keep the opening open so much that it acts a a sea anchor? If you hang a clip on weight on the thing, as described by Carter, does that keep the opening more closed?

LJ

ljINfla:
I've heard the two terms but I am not sure I completely understand the difference yet. If the only difference is that the SMB is inflated and used a a visual signal only on the surface, and a DSMB is sent to the surface from depth, then I don't understand the question. Why would this be difficult to tow around? Is it the cloth collar at the bottom that concerns you?

Can any of you Carter owners out there comment on the Sea Anchor effect of this when towing it? I would think it would be minimal given the diameter. Does the "cloth collar" decribed by Carter keep the opening open so much that it acts a a sea anchor? If you hang a clip on weight on the thing, as described by Carter, does that keep the opening more closed?

LJ

A DSMB can be used as an SMB, but what most people have in mind when they draw a distinction is something more like this, this, or this; something that sacrifices small size and inflatability to gain more visibility and towability.

I have added a picture that Jim Carter Sent to me of the 35 LBS SMB with the flag and provided some additional information that he included. He has not answered all the questions yet but I am sure they are coming.

The 35 lbs float is indeed 72" tall. Not the highth on their web site. He has not provided the rolled up dimentions of each size yet. The other two models he is confirming. The flag only comes with it if you order it from their web site. The flag that comes with it is not the refelctive flag. That is $5 extrat on their site. IF you buy from another site I think the lfag is around $12. It looks like the flag is semi-rigid and wraps around the sausage and sticks out to the sides on it own but is flexible enough to be rolled up with the float adding hardly any bulk to the package.

More to come.

LJ

3dent:
Be advised that I bought mine through LeisurePro and had a little problem. When I received it I noticed that it did not come with the removable flag. If you read the LP description carefully, you will see, “Optional Detachable 12" x 12" dive flags on both sides of the float's top ..” My bad for not noticing before I ordered, I guess.

However, when I contacted LP about ordering the optional flag, they didn’t know anything about the specific Carter flag, and tried to sell me one of their ‘regular’ flags, which, of course, wouldn’t be designed specifically for this SMB, and wouldn’t have the velcro for attaching it.

My guess is that the LP version is a discontinued, pre-flag version, and they are trying to include a generic flag at extra cost.

Carter Optional Dive flag

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item...ortField=SKU&SortDesc=False&SearchTerm=carter

Carter Optional Reflective dive Flag

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item...ortField=SKU&SortDesc=False&SearchTerm=carter

solk:

3dent:
//snip// However, when I contacted LP about ordering the optional flag, they didn’t know anything about the specific Carter flag, and tried to sell me one of their ‘regular’ flags, which, of course, wouldn’t be designed specifically for this SMB, and wouldn’t have the velcro for attaching it. //snip//

I wanted the flag Carter designed specifically to be used with this particular marker. The one that evidently comes with the marker if you order it from Carter, but does not come with the marker if you order it from LP. Your links show flags made by Carter, but they are 'generic' flags, not the flag specifically designed for the marker.

3dent:
I wanted the flag Carter designed specifically to be used with this particular marker. The one that evidently comes with the marker if you order it from Carter, but does not come with the marker if you order it from LP. Your links show flags made by Carter, but they are 'generic' flags, not the flag specifically designed for the marker.

You can get it with flag from other sites as well. For example the site I quoted above:

http://discountdivers.com/fx/acc2.html

There are other sites as well that have it with the flag.

LJ

Sorry it took me so long to post this...

Here are the measurements of my Carter marker. (Minus flag. In case you didn't pick it up from my previous whine, I don't have the flag!)

I have the smallest marker. It's about 7.25" wide by 70" long uninflated.

Rolled up the marker is 7.25" long (obviously). The OPV keeps it from having a uniform diameter when rolled, so the diameter varies from about 3" to about 3.75".

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom