Pictures of Carter Personal Float SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LJinFLA

Contributor
Reaction score
Like so many others on here, no one can seem to find any pictures of the Carter Personal Float SMB on the web. They always use the cartoon like drawing from their web site. Since I was looking for one, I wrote to them and they sent me these. They wrote that the color of the yellow is a florescent lime yelllow that doesn't translate well in pictures.

They do not show the flag but they are better than what I have seen so far. I have written back to see if they have pictures with the flag attached.

LJ

At last. I would likely have ordered one if I'd seen a decent picture; I like that. Thanks.

ljINfla:
The cheapest place I have found is LeisurePro.com. I think they are $69 there.
I would think, that after they responded to your question, including supplying a good picture, an explanation, and a PDF document, you would have been nice enough to quote their price and maybe a link back to their own site, rather than LeisurePro's...........

I have one of these that I just bought, but I have not used it yet. If you have any questions about the marker (other than those related to deployment, of course) I may be able to answer them.

Be advised that I bought mine through LeisurePro and had a little problem. When I received it I noticed that it did not come with the removable flag. If you read the LP description carefully, you will see, “Optional Detachable 12" x 12" dive flags on both sides of the float's top ..” My bad for not noticing before I ordered, I guess.

However, when I contacted LP about ordering the optional flag, they didn’t know anything about the specific Carter flag, and tried to sell me one of their ‘regular’ flags, which, of course, wouldn’t be designed specifically for this SMB, and wouldn’t have the velcro for attaching it.

On the bottom of the link that ljINfla provided is the web address for Carter, but here is a specific link:

http://www.carterbag.com/personalfloat.html

From Carter’s description the removable flag seems to be included. To me, it would have been worth the extra $25.00-or-so to get the flag. That’s the main reason I wanted the Carter SMB in the first place.

I’m not against buying online, but you do have to be careful, and accept the risks...

My guess is that the LP version is a discontinued, pre-flag version, and they are trying to include a generic flag at extra cost.

3dent:
From Carter’s description the removable flag seems to be included. To me, it would have been worth the extra $25.00-or-so to get the flag. That’s the main reason I wanted the Carter SMB in the first place.

I have one also and i really like it. A little bulkier than some i've used but that's the price you pay for a tougher material.

You don't really need to worry about the flag though IMO. Heck, most boaters around here don't know what a dive flag is anyway. Instead we write "Divers Below" on the bag. It about as good as you can do to protect yourself from the stink-boaters and skiers.

I wish i had a nickel for everytime a boater came up to my dive flag to check out what it was. :wink:

FreeFloat:
I would think, that after they responded to your question, including supplying a good picture, an explanation, and a PDF document, you would have been nice enough to quote their price and maybe a link back to their own site, rather than LeisurePro's...........

Good point FreeFloat. I am just such a cheap B#$$*%D that it didn't occur to me. I have been looing for the best price on these myself as I am sure others are. That would have been nice. However, the Carter folks I am sure are big boys and know what their market price is. A number of other sites have it for around what LP has it for. I am sure that if I had quoted thier site, most of the readers would have found the cheapest price themselves anyway. I bet that most people don't pay MSRP for very many products anyway.

LJ

3dent:
I have one of these that I just bought, but I have not used it yet. If you have any questions about the marker (other than those related to deployment, of course) I may be able to answer them.

Be advised that I bought mine through LeisurePro and had a little problem. When I received it I noticed that it did not come with the removable flag. If you read the LP description carefully, you will see, “Optional Detachable 12" x 12" dive flags on both sides of the float's top ..” My bad for not noticing before I ordered, I guess.

However, when I contacted LP about ordering the optional flag, they didn’t know anything about the specific Carter flag, and tried to sell me one of their ‘regular’ flags, which, of course, wouldn’t be designed specifically for this SMB, and wouldn’t have the velcro for attaching it.

On the bottom of the link that ljINfla provided is the web address for Carter, but here is a specific link:

I’m not against buying online, but you do have to be careful, and accept the risks...

My guess is that the LP version is a discontinued, pre-flag version, and they are trying to include a generic flag at extra cost.

Actually, what I think we need to be careful of here is a somewhat low level of marketing sophistication from a small manufacturer. The cartoon drawings are one example. Their web site also has many discrepancies when compared to the PDF file that they themselves sent me. They are a small company that doesn't apparrently keep up keeping all things consistent and complete. THey probably, like most small businesses havea small staff for such things. Examples are:

1) The Carter site does suggest that the flag is included. However the PDF says optional like LP does. I have seen "optional" on site other than LP as well.

2) the sizes and lift capacities in the PDF are 6 Ft (35lbs), 10 Ft (75lbs) and 7.5 Ft (110lbs) sizes. However their web site says they are 65"x4" (35lbs), 58"x 7" (75lbs), and 58" x 9" (110lbs) respectively. Which one is right?

I have followed up with them to get answers to these questions and more, like pictures with the flag. How does the flag stay attached? Is it rigid in some way so that the flag stays up like the cartoon would suggest or does it fly in the wind? How big is the rolled up unit in diameter and width for stowing purposes.

I will post all responses here.

LJ

TCDiver1:
You don't really need to worry about the flag though IMO. Heck, most boaters around here don't know what a dive flag is anyway. Instead we write "Divers Below" on the bag. It about as good as you can do to protect yourself from the stink-boaters and skiers.

I wish i had a nickel for everytime a boater came up to my dive flag to check out what it was. :wink:

Thanks for the insight, TC

As I mentioned, I haven’t used my SMB yet, nor have I encountered problems with boaters yet.

In order to be as prepared as possible, I’ve read a lot (on this board and other sources) regarding the use of the SMB. I've also read a lot about the problems with boaters and jetskis buzzing them. In addition, I know that in a lot of places divers are required by law to surface within a certain distance of a dive flag.

Yet another discussion I followed on this board concerns the ambiguity of SMB colors. Some boats/groups evidently assign different meanings to different colored SMBs. I don’t remember details but the idea was that one color indicated a ‘normal’ ascent, while another color indicated an ‘emergency’ ascent.

I’m trying to find one solution that best alleviates all problems. Good luck, huh?

In order to alleviate some of the ambiguity, and make it easier for a dive boat to know what exactly I am trying to communicate when they see my SMB, I am thinking of writing “SOS” in big letters on the top of the SMB, then covering it with a removable dive flag so that when the flag is in place, the SOS is covered.

That way during a normal ascent, I would send up the SMB with the attached flag (“SOS” hidden). Should I or a buddy be making an ‘emergency’ ascent, I would rip the flag off before sending it up, so that the SOS is visible.

Maybe I should also write, “Diver Below” on the SMB below the flag, so that it’s always visible, and use letters cut from IR-reflective tape for both messages.

ljINfla:
Is it rigid in some way so that the flag stays up like the cartoon would suggest or does it fly in the wind?

ljINfla, I would be very interested in finding a way that the SMB flag could be rigid when flying, detachable, and still roll up for storage. I can’t figure a way to do all of that. If you find a solution, please let me know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom