Pictures! Just thought I'd share a couple......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bio Guy,

The experience is priceless. I've taken several trips to see them and have a few photos of them. If you ever get the chance to go don't pass it up. They're huge but they're so gentile.

Jennifer,
This is serious. Please tell me what kind of camera and film you are using. I am just getting into U/W photography and any help would be greatly appreciated.
The shots are really nice.

Don #1

Don,

I'm not with my equipment tonight but I'll get the full specs for you tommorow. Dee has some really nice pics in her album. I'm sure she can share a lot of info with you.

Don, if you're just getting started in u/w photography, I may be able to help ya. I'm still learning myself but I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far. If you want to see some of my photos, go to: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=624404

I use a Sea & Sea MMIIEX-Pro, Ys50 & Ys30 strobes, 2T and 3T macro lenses, 20mm and 16mm wide angle lenses. I used a S&S MX-10 for my first couple of years.

I'll give you some pointers so we can document our pond scumm research!

Yea, I need help,

I'm getting tired of doing all the U/W writing while you get to take all the pics. In O/W class it wasn't covered how to get rid of U/W writers cramp.

And my micro tape recorder only picked up bubbling sounds. But just wait until I get my new toys.

Will the MX 10 work for a "newbie"?
Would like to have the good ones enlarged to 8x10.

Don #17

Dee, I wanna be as good a photog as you when I grow up! :thumb:

The good news is that I have seen improvement in my shots, but what a learning curve.

I have been trying to get Pearce to take a look at your stuff, but it's hard when the man is hardly ever home. He has more experience with the MMII setup than I, but has lately been more interested in refining his u/w video. No problem.... more time for ME with the cameras.

We just invested in a setup to slave TWO strobes with the camera. Man, that sucker is HEAVY. Wonder what it's going to be like in the water???

Anyways, I followed the link to your site and :D wow :D I see you enjoy taking pictures of coneys too... I esp like the bi-colour ones; they look so neat! :)

How long have you been doing u/w pic thing?

BTW are you at DEMA this week? I'm on my way tomorrow, arriving Thurs. (Driving from Hotlanta)

~SubMariner~

Don, the MX-10 is perfect for beginners. You have some control over the exposures without getting into alot of really technical stuff. Just an easy, slow learning curve! The 20mm wide angle lens and the 3T macro gives you a good range of photo opportunities. As for the 8x10's, as long as you use a good quality, fine grain film, you most certainly can enlarge them. Most of the MX-10 shots on my website have been enlarged and are on the wall. Looks good to me! The fixed strobe will show up some backscatter but good news is, the newer cameras have the ability to mount to a base plate, allowing you to add a second strobe. This greatly eliminates the backscatter. Next, pond scum research expedition, I'll write and you can take the photos!

Sub, I've been taking u/w photos for about 4 years. Sounds like alot but when you consider I only get to do it on dive trips to the caribbean, that's not that long! I've been using a YS30 slave strobe with my YS50, and it's sweet! Just enough to fill in those shadows and bring out some extra details. Sorry, not going to DEMA. Sure looks like I'll miss seeing alot of folks, tho! Have fun.

Don and the rest,

I have been using a MX-10 & YS-40 strobe for several years and is capable of better work than I am.. Here is a link to some picture I shot with it in Bonaire last July. http://www.imageharbor.com/?location=step2&cata=Bonaire&user=herman . Don, as for enlarging the picture to 8x10, how good the prints will be really depends (assuming a good photo) on the film more than anything else. The slower the film the better, an MX-10 will handle 100 and 400 speed, and the grade of the film is also important. Fuji film seem s to have a bit better color saturation but for enlargements, Kodak Royal Gold is a lot better and it should give acceptable results up to 11x14. It's $1 or so more a roll but well worth it if you have any ideas of enlargements. Also, a GOOD film processor will make a world of difference. Getting the negatives developed is not so important but the process of getting the negative onto paper is VERY important. XXXmart is fine for initally getting the "proofs" done but fine a real film processor to get your enlargement work done.
Dee, I saw a trick to help with backscatter with a MX-10. The YS-40 can be removed and slaved off the internal strobe,(ie holding the camera in one hand and the strobe in the other).I have not tried it under water yet but it seems to work fine on land. It might be easier said than done but I am going to attach a small aiming light to mine and give it a try next chance I get.

Back
Top Bottom