PICTURE HEAVY. New Diver that scored big on craigslist. Help ID. Scubapro.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be careful about celebrating the wetsuit purchase either. Depends on how old it is and how often it was dived. Wetsuits do not improve with age - rather they compress and lose their thermal insulation properties.

I'll keep that in mind. All the seals look good, stitching isnt coming off anywhere, and it seems like it was hardly used. Guess I won't know until i dive it, but seems to be in damn good shape. No marks, scuffs etc, and it's teal and black so the teal would at least show it. I dont have a micrometer to measure the thickness i guess.

Ditto i second that just a bunch of junk

I quite agree! ...not meant as an insult, not commenting on anyone's judgement, it was junk before you bought it, and it's still junk after you bought it.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2013 at 02:18 PM ----------

As said above you bought a bunch of gear that is old and comes with service issues. The old Mk5 is a work horse that many people like. But service might be an issue unless you find the right shop. You could spend a bunch on service and new hoses. The gauges if accurate and precise are no different than the ones bought today. The wing if it holds air looks to be a taco wing (i.e. way bigger than it needs to be for warm water diving). The inflater will need serviced - though many places just replace them. The ScubaPro J-valve is unique in that it has a built gauge on the back probably set for 2250 psi. However, the face looks dented. The cylinder is a AL6351 Alloy and as said comes with its own issues.

The OP is not the first person to post up to the board after making such purchases looking for confirmation that they got a good deal. Should have come to the board before​ and asked for help. IMHO you bought a pile of gear which while it can be used is not ideal and needs service. Now if yer Uncle gave it to ya then I would have said sure service it and have some retro gear.

people who do this are not really looking for honest opinions, they've already made up their minds and convinced themselves of their decision, they just want the satisfaction of having others affirm their decision afterwards. I get this all the time at work (I work at an investment brokerage firm) where people call in pretending they want a frank discussion about their investment decisions/strategy, when in fact they've already made up their minds on their own and just want someone at my firm to 'confirm' their preconseived decisions and just confirm that they're brilliant!

I quite agree! ...not meant as an insult, not commenting on anyone's judgement, it was junk before you bought it, and it's still junk after you bought it.
Okay.... Then why follow it up with this?
people who do this are not really looking for honest opinions, they've already made up their minds and convinced themselves of their decision, they just want the satisfaction of having others affirm their decision afterwards. I get this all the time at work (I work at an investment brokerage firm) where people call in pretending they want a frank discussion about their investment decisions/strategy, when in fact they've already made up their minds on their own and just want someone at my firm to 'confirm' their preconseived decisions and just confirm that they're brilliant!
Because that is insulting.

I'm not looking for you to go "OOOh wow you made a sound business decision." I'm just trying to figure out what the gear is, and what type of quality it is. I've already purchased it, that is not up for debate. I am not going back and asking for a refund.

What I was looking for was help IDing, and suggestions on whether to sell it or keep it.

As far as working in an in IB firm. I'm sure your mother must be very proud. I don't see why this is relevant, because I'm not looking to you for justification. I've made the purchase. it's done. Telling me "oh you're not that brilliant and you shouldn't have bought it" isn't helping anything. I have some gear, help ID, and then do I sell it or keep it. Simple enough?

If you can't understand that please keep your thinly veiled insults to yourself. They don't make you look cool, smart, or mature and only end up hurting your image.

.You stated you're 'cluelsss' yet you boasted how you 'scored big' ? If anyone scored anything, it was the seller. Things are usually unusually cheap for a reason. I wish you well in your future.

.You stated you're 'cluelsss' yet you boasted how you 'scored big' ? If anyone scored anything, it was the seller. Things are usually unusually cheap for a reason. I wish you well in your future.

Thanks. I'm sorry to have such a naive excitement for the sport. I'll try to develop a grumpy attitude and general apathy as I gain experience.

That's exactly what I was thinking. How can you claim you 'scored big' then ask people 'what exactly did I buy?' Would have been better if the thread title was "Bought some stuff on Craigslist, is it any good?" Instead the thread title and original post was worded in a way where he was looking for validation from Scubaboard on his purchase, then ends up getting defensive about it claiming he already found some poor saps lined up and ready to buy this junk.

With that said, I've started to amass gear, most of which I'm sure of the quality, but I had a big score today!

Things I got for $50 on CL today: Pretty old gear, but a great deal I think.

With all that said, I am clueless to the quality of this gear.

The BP/W: What model is it? What's it worth? It holds air, and seems like it would still function. Is there anything I should do to service it? Is anything else needed to run this (besides a weight belt)?

The Regulators: I thought the first stage was a decor (sic) reg, but it has a scuba pro logo. What model is it? Is it worth getting it serviced and using it for my primary reg?

As I mentioned, one of the second stages is free flowing slightly. Is it worth having these serviced? What would the cost be?

The gauges: Anything I should worry about? I have the computer, so the air is the only thing I really care about. It seems to work, but I haven't verified its accuracy. Is it worth getting new ones or should I run these?

The tank: I can get it hydro'd for $19. Anything else I should do with it if it passes?

The extra tank valve: What is this worth? I don't plan on having multiple tanks (hell i didn't plan on one), so what could I get for it? is it worth keeping around for later?

For overall strategies I could: use this gear and service if that's the best idea, but I still have about $500 I had planned on using on the BCD/regs/gauges (budget stuff obviously). Should I ditch the second stages and get some medium range stuff? Should I ditch the regs all together, or use it for the pony set up?

Look you bought a bunch of gear. Given your first post you had many questions - there have been a variety of answers. If you do not like the responses then perhaps you should try to understand why folks gave the replies you did not want to hear instead of being condescending. Better yet not reply to the post.

I wasn't going to drive out, photograph it, drive back, ask for your confirmation/permission to buy it, then drive back out to make the purchase. He didnt even have some of the stuff listed.

Regardless, I'll more than cover my cost in this equipment through selling. If I were purchasing something off of a website or shop I'd ask around about the quality first, but given this was a used set of gear at a pretty steep discount I wasn't going to waste days to hear you say "oh we permit you to buy it."

I don't really care whether or not you think it's junk and that i got ripped off; I'll make a bit of money through selling it (which may not even happen because the regs seem like they could be decent back up regs).

I could give a crap how you spend yer money or time. I was not giving you permission nor was I saying you should seek it. You came here for thoughts on your purchase. People gave it. Reread my post, I did not say it was junk ... I felt I gave fair assessment, sorry it was not what you wanted to hear. Good luck, hope it works out for ya. Folks are pretty friendly around here so welcome to Scubaboard but at the same welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:
How much research did you do before you went out and spent money on this stuff? My guess is very little.

I have a Dacor 950 and XL sitting in my closet that was given to me. Will I dive it ? NO. I will use it for an inflater for tires and blowing out computers with dust. Wet suit...well I bought a new one for $115 on discount because it was $250+. I bought 3 AL tanks from 2000 that I got hydro and a vis for $20. The tanks cost me $50 for all 3 but I had the guy take a pic of the dates. The scrap price was worth it anyway.

I did TONS of research before I bought anything and I called around to different shops to see who could service the regs.

Not trying to bash you but next time you do buy gear please do some research before you buy and you will be MUCH happier when you get gear, and save your self the headache. Not only that it will help you for the rest of you life!

You guys, why all the negativity? SP regulators are collectors pieces, especially the MK 5. If he does nothing but keep it in a box for another 15 years, he's made a pretty decent purchase. That reg will do nothing but go up in value. As for the rest, well, it's probably not worth much but if its functional, I'd use it in the pool. I keep an old, beat up set of gear for the pool so that I don't ruin my good set. Believe me, it's every bit as ugly an old as this set up. I purchased it used in 1997. Its a Seatac wetsuit, which served me well for another 10 years in tropical conditions, a Seatac BC, which worked fine for another 4-5 years and an old reg set. Pool diving is great to keep skills fresh but if you don't have a set of pool dive gear, you probably won't do it much, because it's hard on your gear.
As for the SPG, any gauge is likely to be inaccurate, that's what gauges do. In fact, I don't even bother with my gauge on my pressure canner because I would have to get it tested at the Extension agency yearly for it to be safe for canning. I simply use weights instead. The canner has a gauge very similar to an SPG and its notorious for being inaccurate. That's why you should never dive without an adequate amount of air reserves. You need to account for some gauge inaccuracy, among other things.

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 11:05 AM ----------

You guys, why all the negativity? SP regulators are collectors pieces, especially the MK 5. If he does nothing but keep it in a box for another 15 years, he's made a pretty decent purchase. That reg will do nothing but go up in value. As for the rest, well, it's probably not worth much but if its functional, I'd use it in the pool. I keep an old, beat up set of gear for the pool so that I don't ruin my good set. Believe me, it's every bit as ugly an old as this set up. I purchased it used in 1997. Its a Seatac wetsuit, which served me well for another 10 years in tropical conditions, a Seatac BC, which worked fine for another 4-5 years and an old reg set. Pool diving is great to keep skills fresh but if you don't have a set of pool dive gear, you probably won't do it much, because it's hard on your gear.
As for the SPG, any gauge is likely to be inaccurate, that's what gauges do. In fact, I don't even bother with my gauge on my pressure canner because I would have to get it tested at the Extension agency yearly for it to be safe for canning. I simply use weights instead. The canner has a gauge very similar to an SPG and its notorious for being inaccurate. That's why you should never dive without an adequate amount of air reserves. You need to account for some gauge inaccuracy, among other things.

I notice that a couple of the guys telling the OP that he bought a pile of junk have less than 25 dives. You guys are experts on scuba gear?

As I've alluded to earlier, this wasn't a thought out gear process. That's sort of the point. It was spur of the moment, and I figured I'd take the gamble and figure it out after.
I just saw an ad on craigslist and jumped on it. I've been planning my gear purchase and reading up. I didn't even know he'd have more than the regs until I got out there, and figured if I ended up selling it or even keeping it for backup or learning pieces I'd do all right.

Thanks to those that helped ID, and for the help determining the quality of the pieces. As it is now, I'm considering picking up a cressi reg & bcd set and will decide if I use this stuff as a backup or sell it.

Back
Top Bottom