Pics of the LP85 I bought...whaddya think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmunger

Contributor
Reaction score
Scuba006.jpg

Scuba003.jpg

It doesn't have the + rating anymore, but I don't know if that's because it got "forgot" or if it didn't pass. It seems to be in really nice shape. I don't like the color, but other than that...? It's hard to read the writing in the pics, but I hope it's a good tank. Should I paint over where they stamped in the new hydro? I bought it for $115 btw, and the hydro and visual are pretty much new.

Nate

I would not repaint the tank.

If it doesn't have the "+", I can just about guarantee you if isn't because it failed to qualify for it.

Don't worry. 80% of shops will put the same pressure in it anyhow, and the ones that don't aren't ones you want to deal with.

I second the suggestion to DON"T TRY AND REPAINT IT. Just touch up the hydro date with a little yellow paint.

I wasn't about to try and repaint the whole thing, what I meant was touch up the area where they stamped it...what would I paint it with? does it matter? Also, how do you remove the boot? Just pull really hard?

fishmunger:
I wasn't about to try and repaint the whole thing, what I meant was touch up the area where they stamped it...what would I paint it with? does it matter? Also, how do you remove the boot? Just pull really hard?

I's squirt the hydro stamp with a little ZRC or other high zinc spray paint.

To remove the boots lay the tank down on a table and smack the boot with a mallet, or the edge of a board (I use a piece of oak ~3/4 x 1 1/2, about a 18 inches long, but only becaue it's handy.

You can also use a block weight. Just work around the tank, roll it on the table, and it will come off. Tap & roll, tap & roll.

A bucket of hot water helps too.

Tobin

supposedly this is a "dolphin" brand tank which I think is just a rename for one the more famous generic names associated with steel tanks. anyone know which one? I just want to look up its buoyancy characteristics...

this is what it reads around the neck:

DOT-3AA 2400 B 134996 (funny diamond shaped-thing with a "c" inside) GALV 7A94+

its 8" wide and 24" tall

Nate

fishmunger:
supposedly this is a "dolphin" brand tank which I think is just a rename for one the more famous generic names associated with steel tanks. anyone know which one? I just want to look up its buoyancy characteristics...

this is what it reads around the neck:

DOT-3AA 2400 B 134996 (funny diamond shaped-thing with a "c" inside) GALV 7A94+

its 8" wide and 24" tall

Nate

8 by 24? Sounds more like an LP 95, IIRC, I think 85s are 7.25 inch in diameter.

dsteding:
8 by 24? Sounds more like an LP 95, IIRC, I think 85s are 7.25 inch in diameter.
My LP85 is 7" in diameter, but yes, if it's 8" it sounds like an LP 95.

Back
Top Bottom