Pics from Reunion Island - C&C welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of stinging fishes there:D. But beautiful. Are the Titan triggers aggressive all the time, or just when they guard a nest?

Lots of stinging fishes because they're the easiest to shoot, as they don't move a lot :D Parrotfish and most members of the wrasse family are very commom but also very mobile, that's why you don't often see pictures of them taken by compact camera users...

You're right, titan triggers are aggressive only when they guard their nest and when you go into their cone-shaped nest zone (the nest being the point of the cone and the surface the basis). Otherwise they're nice, quite likeable fish :)

A few pictures taken Saturday :

tnballon0130.jpg

tnfeuille0119.jpg

tnfeuille0129.jpg

tnfeuille0122.jpg

tnfeuille0127.jpg

Penti, I'm enjoying your pics tremendously. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to more.

Do you know perhaps what this shrimp is called? I've heard the term Ornate Shrimp and Porcelain Shrimp but I'm not sure which is correct. They probably have different colloquial names depending on where you are but do you know the scientific name perhaps?

Penti, I'm enjoying your pics tremendously. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to more.

Do you know perhaps what this shrimp is called? I've heard the term Ornate Shrimp and Porcelain Shrimp but I'm not sure which is correct. They probably have different colloquial names depending on where you are but do you know the scientific name perhaps?

Thank you very much Deefstes.

This shrimp is Periclimenes brevicarpalis, its most used vernacular names are anemone shrimp, clown anemone shrimp or glass anemone shrimp.

Please keep on posting, I may be out your way in 2011 for a friends wedding !!! Looks like Reunion is well worth adding to the trip.

I'm absolutely speechless in terms of c&c :wink:.
just one Q: how do you manage to get such crisp images with a P&S? I thought my G9 results is as good as I can get from a P&S until I saw your collection (I'd appreciate if you can check some examples in my gallery). is it the strobe that makes such difference? I'm using only the built in flash with the diffuser.
TIA

Please keep on posting, I may be out your way in 2011 for a friends wedding !!! Looks like Reunion is well worth adding to the trip.

Thank you Andy, let me know if you come, i'll show you my favourite spots off the beaten track (shore dives). I'll post more pictures soon, maybe some taken in Mauritius or South Africa...

I'm absolutely speechless in terms of c&c :wink:.
just one Q: how do you manage to get such crisp images with a P&S? I thought my G9 results is as good as I can get from a P&S until I saw your collection (I'd appreciate if you can check some examples in my gallery). is it the strobe that makes such difference? I'm using only the built in flash with the diffuser.
TIA

thanks a lot maged_mmh

Yes, the strobe does make a big difference, as it allows you to use parameters otherwise impossible : ISO 100, fast shutter speed (1/160 to 1/250 in most cases) and minimum aperture (f.8) on macro shots.

The other thing making a big difference is experience, and continuous practice... What you see is only the best pictures I took in 150 dives or so, but there are a lot I won't even show to my wife :D let's say there are 5 to 10 "keepers" out of every 100 shots...

Excellent stuff! Thanks for that.

'pleasure !

Looks like there's some incredible diving to be done here! Fabulous pictures and thanks for sharing! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom