Pics from Culebra & Vieques, Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the a620 and canon housing, do you have any experience with the A620? would you think I would experience similiar results? what depth were you at in most of these? your pics are beautiful. I have photography as a hobby. I shoot with all canon gear.. A620 is my PS I also have a canon DSLR and acessories.

I don't have any experience with the 620, but I think it is quite similar to the 630. They are not identical, however; the 610 and 620 are twins (use the same housing, only difference is more mpx in the 620), whereas the 630 and 640 are twins (use the same housing which is different from the 610/620). So Canon did some changes, at least to the body configuration, when they upgraded to the 630. Still, I would think the 620 would produce very similar results to the 630 in terms of quality and resolution. My Culebra pictures were all taken at depths less than 15 ft. I see you are listed as not being certified; are you planning to use the camera for snorkeling? If so, you absolutely have to use a weight belt to get down to where the fish are. Shots from the surface looking down are almost never good. Buoyancy control is virtually impossible when snorkeling, and you also frequently have to deal with surge. I dive down and hold onto a rock (not coral!) with one hand to stead myself, then take the picture with the camera in my other hand.

Nice pics.
Growing up and diving in Puerto Rico made me really appreciate those pics. To those of you interested in going diving to Puerto Rico and are in the east side I would recommend diving Culebra. If you have a charter (lots of them in the Fajardo area) they can take you to "Tamarindo" which is a marine sanctuary. It's a nice shallow (40 ft. dive). There are also some other good sites at Culebra. Now be advised. The more populated Island is Vieques.

Very nice. PR does have some great diving. Any info just contact me.

I don't have any experience with the 620, but I think it is quite similar to the 630. They are not identical, however; the 610 and 620 are twins (use the same housing, only difference is more mpx in the 620), whereas the 630 and 640 are twins (use the same housing which is different from the 610/620). So Canon did some changes, at least to the body configuration, when they upgraded to the 630. Still, I would think the 620 would produce very similar results to the 630 in terms of quality and resolution. My Culebra pictures were all taken at depths less than 15 ft. I see you are listed as not being certified; are you planning to use the camera for snorkeling? If so, you absolutely have to use a weight belt to get down to where the fish are. Shots from the surface looking down are almost never good. Buoyancy control is virtually impossible when snorkeling, and you also frequently have to deal with surge. I dive down and hold onto a rock (not coral!) with one hand to stead myself, then take the picture with the camera in my other hand.

Thanks for the reply, I am currently not certified, but It is something I want to get done by the end of the summer... I am just currently researching it and getting in a l ittle better shape before I commit to it... I have always been a strong swimmer, I just like being overly prepared for things...

"Alashas - you will have a good time at either island. Here is something I wrote on Tripadvisor in which I compared Vieques and Culebra"

Dave, Thanks for the links to your Tripadvisor info. I've bookmarked both of them and am doing more research into visiting both islands with my family in late Dec - early Jan. We'll be on Vieques during an excellent time to visit Bio Bay, so we definitely plan to do that. There are so many great beaches on both islands that we'll visit at least one of those each day.

There are not a lot of posts on Vieques scuba, and many of them tend to be mixed. So, may just try for a scuba trip one morning there. It definitely sounds like better diving on Culebra, so we'll do more there.

safe travels, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Excellent shots Dave C. My favourite has to be the Octopus that i spread out on your web page :D . I was told Culebra is great (it was called the GBR of the Caribbean to me) so after looking at these pictures I have added to my list of must dives. Thanks for sharing.

Culebra is great. But nothing beats Desecheo and the Parguera Walls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom