Pics from Culebra & Vieques, Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a link to some photos from a recent trip I took to Culebra and Vieques Islands, Puerto Rico. They were all taken by snorkeling:
Culebra & Vieques Puerto Rico underwater 2008 Photo Gallery by Dave_Clausen at pbase.com
All except the last eight pictures were taken in Culebra, where I spent most of my time. In comparison to other places I have in the Caribbean, Culebra topside was a very laid-back, undeveloped place. In the shallow waters where I snorkeled, there was a good growth of coral, both hard and soft. I saw more pillar coral there than I have ever seen elsewhere, and feather duster worms also seemed particularly abundant. However, it was probably the least "fishy" place I have visited in the Caribbean. Mostly what you saw were your typical small wrasse and damsels, and blue tang schools. I plan to a write a little longer trip report and put it on the SB Caribbean travel board. Here are a few of the better photos:

Gray angelfish
large.jpg

Feather duster worms
large.jpg

Tangs
large.jpg

Blackbar soldierfish
large.jpg

Very nice. The Featherdusters and Soldierfish are especially impressive. Looks like good diving.

Great shots! Now you've got me really excited about my upcoming Puerto Rico trip this year!

Dogenia,

My camera is a Canon PowerShot A630 with a Canon housing, internal flash only. It's 8 megapixels, and I've only had it since last summer. I set ISO to 100 and white balance to "cloudy", everything else on auto. Previously, I had a 3 megapixel Canon for years, so the new camera allows me to make much closer crops. Sometimes I feel compared to my old camera that I am almost cheating. However, it's hard to get close to fish when snorkeling, and the increased ability to make an acceptable crop opens up a whole new dimension in my photos.

Everyone else, thanks for the complements!

Thanks, Dave, great photos!

Have you written a report about your experiences at Culebra & Vieques? We're thinking about going there in late Dec. - early Jan. Did you swim in Bio Bay? Which island did you prefer?

Appreciate any feedback, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Alashas - you will have a good time at either island. Here is something I wrote on Tripadvisor in which I compared Vieques and Culebra:
Isla de Vieques forums: Vieques vs. Culebra: my impressions - TripAdvisor
Here is a trip report on Tripadvisor I wrote about Vieques:
Isla de Vieques forums: Vieques: pictures and perceptions - TripAdvisor
I was intending to write a trip report about Culebra, where we spent most of our time, but I never got around to it. Maybe your question will motivate me to finally do so, but I've already forgotten a lot now! One overall impression I had of Culebra, based on snorkeling only, was that the coral growth was good, but there weren't many fish compared to other places I have been in the Caribbean. Still, when I look back at my uw photos, I am quite happy with what I got so I can't complain too much.

As I said in the Tripadvisor post, I'd recommend going to both islands, but I suppose most people only have the vacation time to visit one. You can send me a private message on this board (Scubaboard) if you want.

Dogenia,

My camera is a Canon PowerShot A630 with a Canon housing, internal flash only. It's 8 megapixels, and I've only had it since last summer. I set ISO to 100 and white balance to "cloudy", everything else on auto. Previously, I had a 3 megapixel Canon for years, so the new camera allows me to make much closer crops. Sometimes I feel compared to my old camera that I am almost cheating. However, it's hard to get close to fish when snorkeling, and the increased ability to make an acceptable crop opens up a whole new dimension in my photos.

Everyone else, thanks for the complements!

I have the a620 and canon housing, do you have any experience with the A620? would you think I would experience similiar results? what depth were you at in most of these? your pics are beautiful. I have photography as a hobby. I shoot with all canon gear.. A620 is my PS I also have a canon DSLR and acessories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom