Picking up BP/W setup from the ground?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking to replace my zeagle bc with a bp/w. I'm currently leaning towards a single piece harness, but I had a question about lifting the fully setup rig off the ground.

With my current bc I can simply grab one of the shoulder straps and hoist it on to my back. This is especially useful during shore dives when there aren't any tables/walls/etc around to don from. With a single piece harness, I'm thinking that the shoulders will just slide out making it hard to lift the heavy rig off the ground. Is that actually the case? If so, what techniques do folks use to don their rigs when shore diving?
I use a "deluxe" harness which has a plastic buckle in the shoulder strap on my bp/w. I also generally pick the whole thing up by one arm strap when I don. I also use heavy LP steel tanks. It's never been an issue for me. I don't like/use the one-piece dir style webbing with my bp/w so no experience, but my impression is that it would be even stronger than my current config.

I do squats holding an AL80 in front of me. No kettlebells at the beach so I improvise.

I do squats holding an AL80 in front of me. No kettlebells at the beach so I improvise.
You should get a good car. "nobody with a good car needs to be justified"

You can do anything from getting a full BC style comfort harness to adding a Fastex type buckle to the standard webbing on one or both shoulder straps.

But if the trouble is only with one shoulder, you might be ok. Just put that arm in first when donning and out last when doffing.

I couldn’t quickly find it again, but IIRC someone on one of the threads about @Eric Sedletzky ’s Freedom Plate posted about purposely allowing some slip for the shoulders, which let the shoulder portion get bigger for donning, but then pulling the waist portion tightened everything up again.

Yeah well, Jesus built my scuba rig... being from TEXAS, I have experience with Gibby and friends. *wink*
Hah.. my daughter used to watch that show. I carly I think it was. Good 'ol gibby gibson.

Secure all dangly bits. Stand behind the tank. Put your hands thru the webbing and grab the tank. Lift over head.

Courtesy of my buddy Bryan at @Lake Hickory Scuba Skip to 2:35 ish

Funny that all those educational lifting over your head videos use a baby cylinder. Use a steel tank, steel plate, and maybe some additional weights for cold water drysuit diving thrown in.

Funny that all those educational lifting over your head videos use a baby cylinder. Use a steel tank, steel plate, and maybe some additional weights for cold water drysuit diving thrown in.
For what it's worth, when I said I picked my bp/w up to don with one arm I didn't mean that I do the over the head thing. I thought that was something DIR divers did to prove they had sufficient testosterone for the dive they were about to do. Well, dir divers and Hitler.

I do it with steel tanks and a steel backplate. Usually LP72's or 85's. Hell, did it on Sunday with LP85's. do NOT do that with weight pockets on the rig though, you'll give yourself a concussion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom