Picking up BP/W setup from the ground?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keeperguy64

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to replace my zeagle bc with a bp/w. I'm currently leaning towards a single piece harness, but I had a question about lifting the fully setup rig off the ground.

With my current bc I can simply grab one of the shoulder straps and hoist it on to my back. This is especially useful during shore dives when there aren't any tables/walls/etc around to don from. With a single piece harness, I'm thinking that the shoulders will just slide out making it hard to lift the heavy rig off the ground. Is that actually the case? If so, what techniques do folks use to don their rigs when shore diving?

slide out of what? with proper webbing in there they won't slide out of the backplate slots, but if you're concerned you can always put a triglide on the back which will lock them down properly.

easiest way to put a single tank on with a backplate if you can't do it from a bench is over your head

As above......very difficult for the webbing to “slide”.......if it does then a simple triglide on the webbing does the trick.

I pick mine up by the shoulder straps all the time. It doesn't slip. Designs vary, as tbone1004 says you can always add a triglide if necessary.

Interesting! I was thinking that the webbing would slide out from the waistband lengthening the shoulders, but perhaps it’s stiff enough and the tank doesn’t weigh enough to do that?

How do you put it on over your head?

The waist always has triglide on the backside, preventing any slipping. A triglide on the shoulders is overkill I think...

@keeperguy64. What tbone1004 said above as far as picking up your gear by the shoulder straps. I just switched from a Zeagle back inflate to a HOG bp/w, and have not noticed any difference in lifting the set off the ground from my Zeagle and a previous heavy duty jacket bcd. From your photo you look pretty young, so you might be happy with a one piece harness, but as an old guy with shoulder issues, a single piece harness was a non starter. One of the really nice things about a bp/w is being able to configure it for your comfort and convenience, and you can change the configuration should your mobility change without buying a new setup.

The web does not slip from the waist to the shoulders at all. It can be adjusted, but that is something you have to intentionally do. Picking the rig up by the harness is not an issue. Not sure I have ever donned a rig over my head, but I mostly dive steel 100's so perhaps its a weight thing. Understand the concept, but not happening at my age!

Interesting! I was thinking that the webbing would slide out from the waistband lengthening the shoulders, but perhaps it’s stiff enough and the tank doesn’t weigh enough to do that?

How do you put it on over your head?

Secure all dangly bits. Stand behind the tank. Put your hands thru the webbing and grab the tank. Lift over head.

Courtesy of my buddy Bryan at @Lake Hickory Scuba Skip to 2:35 ish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom