Picking gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I just finished my OWD cert on Sunday and am getting ready to start on my AOWD cert. I'm getting ready to get my own gear soon and I just had a few questions before I start making decisions on what to buy. Now, as I understand it, as with most things, more expensive does not always equate to better quality. Having said that, I've been seeing a lot of online offers for packages that give you pretty much everything but the weights for as little as $400, providing you get a regular console, no computer. From what I have seen, the equipment being offered in these deals are perfectly good gear just older models, so they're offered at a giant discount. Are these deals legit? I'm inclined to believe they are since all the gear is name brands like Aeris, Oceanic and Sea Elite to name a few. Also, one brand I just saw a few minutes ago, but haven't heard of otherwise is IST. Do they make good gear? If it turns out these deals aren't legit, what's my next best option for getting good gear on a budget? I know I should invest in quality equipment, but the Navy doesn't exactly pay me enough to afford the latest and greatest in diving tech. Thanks for your time and replies.

-AJ

Congrats!

Online offers are usually not so good for Sandwich Isle divers because of the shipping cost.

Maui Dreams in Kihei still has this NEW package deal. I think most Island dive shops have similar under a grand packages. Both Haleiwa shops have used gear sales...

halemanō;5459713:
The LDS I deal with here in Kihei has had an $899 AquaLung/Suunto Package for at least 3 months;

Pro LT BC
Titan LX 1st/2nd
ABS Octo
Zoop in console w/ SPG

The AL web site shows USA msrp of the individual items as $450, 440, 136 and 475 respectively; so the package is over $600 savings from msrp!

Depends on what kind of gear you want and of course since you are out in the middle of the pond what shipping costs would be. Stateside, shipping is not an issue.

Golem Gear, Inc. has great deals on backplates and wings both aluminum and stainless. I have been diving their rig for 3 years and love it--althouh Jakob if you are reading, I wish I could have purchased optional yellow straps LOL

Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online Scuba Toys is also another great place to shop. Purchased my reg and computer from them and am very happy. Have purchased a number of things from then and have always been happy.

Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com Leisure Pro is considered a gray market source, but let's face it when they always have the latest products on the market available they are not purchasing from shops that are going defunct as the manufacturers release new product to the most prized dealers first. For warranty issues LP will be the ones to make it right if you have a problem and I actually prefer that as they are easier to deal with and have in mind my total value to them as a customer beyond the one item I might have a problem with. Have purchased a number of items from them too and have always been happy.

All of these guys as well as any reputable online dealer and give you shipping costs up front so that you can make an informed decision.

Oh and I almost forgot https://www.deepseasupply.com/ I have purchased a few odds and ends from Tobin too. He has a great product line too.

All four of these guys are active on Scuba Board and you can read pages and pages of customer testimonials about them. Sometimes threads regarding them have started off as a problem, but they are resolved in short order. Every company will have problems from time to time. These guys consistently step up to the plate to resolve the seldom problem that occurs.

Good luck and happy diving!

Thanks for the replies. That certainly looks like a lot of good information. I will definitely be checking out all those links and hopefully I'll be getting my gear soon. Thanks again.

-AJ

Back
Top Bottom