Picking a new suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elan,

what about the rock boots---good or bad?

We purchased a new bare drysuit from our lds last year. She like the fit, but she have trouble getting her feet in and out of the attached drysuit boots.

It's a personal preference bu we went with turbo soles as they are more comfortable when you do different finning techniques.

The bare boots are a bit tricky and you need to get used to them:)

Hey guys,
thanks for all the good feed-back. But i was hoping for a little more feed-back on each of my final four suits. Maybe pros and cons on each suits?
Just looking for some help.

Elan,
let say, you are buying a clx 450 today. Would you go with rock boots or turbo soles? And the reson?
Thanks

Elan,
let say, you are buying a clx 450 today. Would you go with rock boots or turbo soles? And the reson?
Thanks

Myself I would go with turbo soles. (This is what we decided to get for my wife) They give more flexibility in the ankles which make it easier to fin especially when you have to do modified flutter, do the turns and back kick is more precise. But! We do not have a lot of rocky entrances over here so turbo soles work the best. If you have a lot of rocks in your area socks can be an option and you can use either tough boots for heavy lifting or the converse ones if you dive not so rocky beaches. Bare boots are a kind of compromise they are Ok for rocky entrances and not so rigid as the boots. I know people here who replaced turbo soles with Bare boots on their DUI suits.
A negative side of Bare boots is that they are made of 4mm neoprene and are floaty.
A negative side of the turbo soles is that the spring strap might slide off the heel as it does not have anything to hold on to, Bare boots have that rubber bump that prevents the spring strap from sliding. I know people use fin keepers to hold the strap.

If you look at DUI also check out FLX suit - it is quite new and made from the same material as the pants of the CLX. So it is not as rough as CLX on the top but not as light as TLS. Some people like it as they say that CLX is more rigid on the top due to cordura. But having dove Bare Trilam I can say that CLX to Bare is like TLS to CLX :)

My Bare has not really broken in after 2 years and almost 2 hundred dives and still quite stiff although not as astiff as the previous model (before 2009).

I would go with Rock boots: 1 it is alot easer to fix or replace a boot then anything that is attached to your dry suit. 2 most of the people that I know who dive a DUI with turbo soals wouldn't get them in there next DUI drysuit but where I dive we do a lot of shore entrys of which we have to clime over lots a rock and barnicals. I have the bare rock boots and like them but i have never dove any thing elts.
Ian

I like the Viking Combat as it also offers the option of front entry zipper.

If you find rubber suits to be an option, look at Amron Explorer, which offers a tough suit and lots of sizing options (made by Viking so it's a quality suit)

Thanks guys for all the help-----i just placed an order for a dui clx 450---thanks again for all the good feedback.

Back
Top Bottom