Picking a dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jsour01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys

i need some guidance and suggestions on picking a good dive site. I am a new diver and have done some shore dives and dove in Cabo. I have a boat and need some advice on how you guys pick your dive sites.

Thanks
Justin

Go to a local dive shop. They've dove all the places in your area and will know the best spots to go diving. You could even meet some new dive buddies to do it with :) In Arkansas, I've been diving at Beaver lake. Some great diving there.

Thanks for the great advice. Let us know if you ever need a buddy to dive at beaver!

I only been diving for 18 months but I can suggest a few dive sites on Greers Ferry and Ouchitua. Let me know if you need a dive buddy.

hello Jsour... i find your question interesting. dive stores, with dive boats, have numbers of established dive sites, usually revolving around a feature on the bottom of the ocean, such as, a reef, a shipwreck, a ledge, a wall, disposed military hardware, etc... The other considerations are always depth and distance from shore. In other words, fuel consumption and time.

Being free to dive wherever you like, changes things considerably. Any device that can be used to give insight as to what is on the bottom is very helpful. Having a survey diver prepared to do a quick look at the bottom is also helpful.

I have been an exploratory type diver and it has led me to seek out virgin sites, or almost virgin sites. The first step for me was to find others with the same interest. We use similar techniques in the rivers. We generally look for gravel beds containing fossilized pieces of the past. Sometimes we run across, wooden sailing ships, French and Spanish coins, pottery, civil war pieces, etc.

We use techniques similar to what is used in the ocean. We usually drag something for starters. We have an extremely long aluminum pole that we drag. You can feel the vibrations through the pole. We also use an underwater TV. When we suspect a good spot, we throw on a scuba unit and drop on it. If it is a good spot, we anchor and dive on it.

Thank you for the invitation! I definitely need a dive buddy since I don't know anybody outside of my dive instructor and stepfather (5 hours away) that dive. I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, so anytime you get ready to dive please keep me in mind!

---------- Post added January 21st, 2013 at 10:29 AM ----------

Lee

Thank you for the advice.

Justin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom