Picaridin vs. DEET in the war against sand fleas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEET works superbly on sand fleas/sand flies/no-see-ums.

The "evening" is not the time of terror. It occurs at pre-dawn and then again 4:00 > 6:00 pm, plus or minus.

They swarm for a blood meal on you from moist decaying vegetable matter, a material that you are surrounded with- even old wolmanized wood. They do not operate well in any breeze.

Nasonex (dabbed on with a q-tip), or the same active ingredient in suspension form, works as an instant relief for the absolutely insane itching these little devils can cause.

The US military uses DEET. They do not use Picaridin, clove oil, flea colors, garlic or personal ultrasonic electronic gizmos. Of course, they used Agent Orange, too.

Read it however you want, but I think Honduras was substantially less reactionary when it came to DDT. Used appropriately, as we now know, it will not mean Ms. Carson will have a Silent Spring. It is still available and used in Honduras. A light spray on a suspect bed over the bedspread an hour before retiring (then hang the bedspread aside), can avoid a lot of difficulties.

There has been absolutely no scientific evidence after studies that DEET has a deleterious effect on critters of the ocean, mnuch to the contrary of popular alarmist myth. Whatever you select, however, why not shower it off anyway before entering the sea? (and don't use the shower on the dock over the Ocean)

Deet works for sandflies well for me and family and seems to work well for a large number of locals who use it when bugs are bothersome and i have it handy. When they don't have it handy then many still just slather on the coconut oil

Cutter Advanced Insect Repellant uses Picaridin as the active ingredient. Good stuff, and no smell or greasy feeling.

My family and I used the insect repellant Natrapel, which has 20% picaridin, on our last two trips to Roatan and it worked great for us. We didn't have any problems with mosquitoes or sand flies.

I used Cutter Advanced in Roatan for sand fleas or "no-see-ums" a couple of years ago and have been using it ever since for mosquitos, etc. Absolutely love it and it works amazingly well. As has been said, it is odourless and does not feel greasy. Picaridin, which is the active ingredient in Cutter Advanced, is also much safer than Deet for your wetsuit, scuba gear or any other synthetic material.

Cutter Advanced Insect Repellant uses Picaridin as the active ingredient. Good stuff, and no smell or greasy feeling.
And Picaridin doesn't stain leather or neoprene like the higher concentrations of DEET can.

As far as Honduras being "substantially less reactionary" when it comes to environmental concerns, sadly from the time I've spent in Roatan I'd have to say that's quite an understatement.

For some, like me, taking B-50 vitamins deter the no-see-ums.

For some, like me, taking B-50 vitamins deter the no-see-ums.

There is no such thing as Vitamin B50. B50 is vitamin industry jargon for B-vitamin supplements that contain 50 milligrams of several B-complex vitamins in one pill. There is no documented research that supports mosquito repellent effects of this vitamin overdose. You will have very expensive urine so the fish may benefit somehow. :eyebrow:

There is no documented research...
...yet it apparently works for some people. Met folks in Utila using the vitamin B patch things (which I'd never heard of before) and they were the only ones not eaten alive by sand fleas.

You will have very expensive urine so the fish may benefit somehow. :eyebrow:

Not to mention that the high dose will turn your urine neon yellow...so everyone will know when you pee in the water. (Not that anyone would do such a thing :wink:

Back
Top Bottom