Physician Sign-off Not Required - Do it anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But with an 18-month-old and a wife in residency, I doubt you'll have the time.

To make matters worse, I've got 2 18-month-old's (twin girls), but yeah, I've got very little free time either way. My wife actually signed my up for OW as an anniversary gift because she feels bad that I never have time for myself. Thankfully, residency ends next year, so there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

DCS/DM is way out of my league right now. My present goals are to get OW, and make my way to AOW (experience requirement of 24 dives, if I stick with SSI) within 2 years.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to volunteer as a diver at the Newport Aquarium in Cincinnati. AOW is their min certification requirement.

I agree with everyone especially DivemasterDennis, can never be to safe.. Even if you are in perfect health, you should learn about what medications you should and shouldn't take for your allergies while diving, certainly don't want to get a reverse block. If anything Diving should add years to your life expectancy and I am sure your kids will thank you for that...:)

Michael

I think it is a good thing to get a physical on a regular basis, particularly as you grow older or start a new physical activity. You should do it just for your peace of mind. I would not bother with the forms unless your Doctor finds something that is a problem

Agree. If SSI requires your form to be upped annually (I don't know. You may want to check this out), it makes no sense to bother with forms, though the checkup is obviously a good idea. Don't create a problem. I never bothered with a checkup annually 'til my late 40s, but that was not a good idea.

Greetings Crewfish13 a wellness check is never a bad idea especially after 2yrs.
I would recommend at least having your GP refer you to a ENT for the allergies and treatment.
Reason for that well lets just say that some meds are not the most dive friendly due to the way that they can dehydrate you.
Check out DAN or Divers Alert Network for the drug interaction with diving and or let the ENT know that you are a diver.

In my experience the ENT allowed my treatment to be awesome and very dive friendly.
I still have issues from time to time but enjoy many dives while managing allergies.

The medical form issue is it is better to take and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Good luck and enjoy your diving!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Back
Top Bottom