Physical conditioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well what kind of regimen do you suggest?

jth2711: I can't recommend any type of regimine for anyone else but I personally do 1000 yards in the pool three times a week, 500 yards on my back with fins and 500 yards with snorkel and ankle weights. I can't do freestyle anymore because I don't want to chance another shoulder operation. My main concern is my heart, legs and lungs.

I think that we have enough of "big brother" telling us what we can and cant do. I am a big boy, and excercising should be at my discreation. I dont need another agency telling me how much excercise I need or how many push ups or sit up I have to complete to hold a C-card. I might as well go back into an infantry unit then.

Well you could argue that about any skill, right? Why do you have to learn mask clearing when your mask doesn't usually get knocked off you face. Why do you learn emergency ascents when your equipment is fairly well engineered and a majority of people may never experience out of air problems. You do it to learn how to be safe and to come back from every dive alive. Being fit is part of that, and it is also probably the single most important factor in avoiding DCI. So while boot camp may be excessive, having to swim a distance within a time limit (ie 300yds in 14 minutes) is not unreasonable, and would require some fitness.

Also, stories about fit people dying young isn't quite fair, because it doesn't take into account genetic predisposition or other aspects of health that can influence problems (ie with the cardiovascular system). Large controlled trials have clearly exhibited a long term and short term benefit of exercise and physical fitness to health (both mental and physical). I mean, I know people that smoked for a long time and never got lung cancer, should i make the assumption that smoking doesn't significantly increase the risk of cancer? No.

Last edited:
I think if someone wishes to pursue any outdoor activity and do it well so that it remains fun and exciting is going to hold themselves to a certain degree of fitness. A year ago I weighed 330 lbs and after the birth of son I realized I needed to get healthy. I now weigh 250 lbs and go to the gym 4-5 times week doing cardio and weights. I had been swimming however the weather made life difficult here to swim and then get out in the cold. I am slated to start cert classes on May 1st. My point is I made myself do this to pursue a hobby I always wanted to and never had.

I think if someone wishes to pursue any outdoor activity and do it well so that it remains fun and exciting is going to hold themselves to a certain degree of fitness. A year ago I weighed 330 lbs and after the birth of son I realized I needed to get healthy. I now weigh 250 lbs and go to the gym 4-5 times week doing cardio and weights. I had been swimming however the weather made life difficult here to swim and then get out in the cold. I am slated to start cert classes on May 1st. My point is I made myself do this to pursue a hobby I always wanted to and never had.

Good Job! I lost a great deal of weight when I was a bit younger too. It takes a lot of determination and motivation, but it is great once you are able to lose it. I bet you feel much better now. I know life was totally different for me once I lost the weight.

Anyway, its great to hear that you did so well!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been moved to Dive into Fitness

Well you could argue that about any skill, right? Why do you have to learn mask clearing when your mask doesn't usually get knocked off you face. Why do you learn emergency ascents when your equipment is fairly well engineered and a majority of people may never experience out of air problems. You do it to learn how to be safe and to come back from every dive alive. Being fit is part of that, and it is also probably the single most important factor in avoiding DCI. So while boot camp may be excessive, having to swim a distance within a time limit (ie 300yds in 14 minutes) is not unreasonable, and would require some fitness.

Mask clearing is a skill. So is CESA. This has very little to do with fitness. A very fit diver could have problems with mask clearing and CESA's, while on the other hand, a out of shaped diver could perform both of these skills with ease.

Swimming is a skill also. I had seen people that are out of shape and could swim 300 yards in 10 minutes easy, while young kids in my lifeguarding classes that are in football, track, CC etc. struggles to make the 300 yard swim WITHOUT any time limit.

The point I think some people miss is that we all train to be prepared to deal with emergencies, but if your buddy has a serious issue and you are a long way to the boat or shore you need to be fit enough to do a long swim with a potentially unconscious buddy...even with an inflated BC that can still be pretty tough. Throw in performing "in-water" CPR and you had better be in decent shape!

Trying to improve and maintain your fitness isn't just to benefit you but also your dive buddy.

Mask clearing is a skill. So is CESA. This has very little to do with fitness. A very fit diver could have problems with mask clearing and CESA's, while on the other hand, a out of shaped diver could perform both of these skills with ease.

Swimming is a skill also. I had seen people that are out of shape and could swim 300 yards in 10 minutes easy, while young kids in my lifeguarding classes that are in football, track, CC etc. struggles to make the 300 yard swim WITHOUT any time limit.

Tangential arguments. Diving skills are not in question here, and neither is specifically the swimming ability of the individual. Although I do agree with the aspect of specificity of training when it comes to the need to swim any distance.

I have no intention of diving with severly deconditioned buddies, as I don't want to increase the likelihood that I'm going to have to deal with the rescue and (in the USA) the very likely lawsuit from the family in denial that I somehow contributed to the individual's death due to improper eating, lack of exercise, and not being aware enough of their own limitations to know when to stay out of the water.

My personal situation?

I'm in my 50's, still about 20 lbs overweight, but have lost 25 lbs in the last year. How did I get that big? When I retired from the Army I swore the next I was running that someone would be chasing me. Found out that wasn't working out too well.

I now lift weights 4 days per week, run 35-50 miles per month, swim approximately 3-5 miles per month, and snorkel about 5-7 miles per month. I augment it with a comprehensive stretching program, for general reasons as well as ensuring I can reach my valves when necessary.

I track my progress for in-water training against the PADI DM test (swim, snorkel, etc.) and maintain a 16-18 pt scoring ability, and for out of water, I use both the Army PFT and Marine PFT events (scoring 283 and 177 pts, respectively as of this month).

I ask nothing of others that I don't demand of myself. I don't expect my buddy to be a marathoner (one is), but if you (editorial "you", not northern diver specifically) don't even TRY to stay fit, why should I be the one who will have to drag you out while performing in-water resuscitation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom