Phuket Tailor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, getting ready for my second dive trip to Thailand. The tailor I used on my last trip was great (Rajawongse) but they were in BKK and I won't be going through there this trip. I was wondering if any of the Phuket residents on the board could recommend a good one in either Patong, Karon, or Kata. I've been trying to research it on line but it's slim pickings for tailors in Phuket. I'm leaning toward "Peach Tailors" in Patong based on the limited info I've been able to find. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I was wondering if any of the Phuket residents on the board could recommend a good one in either Patong, Karon, or Kata.

Nikkyo,

There are at least as many tailors here in Phuket as Dive Shops and they are located at ALL the major and not so major beaches. In fact, there seem to be tailors everywhere on Phuket island!

I highly recommend you just to go for a stroll upon arriving and look around a bit before deciding where to get your suits made. Personally I don't think there's a lot of quality difference; (nearly) all tailor shops use "sweat-shops" to get their products made and are mainly a link between you (the customer) and the manufacturer (sweat-shop).
Some shops are more fancy than others and there are differences in packages (eg: shop A will give you 2 free silk ties when buying a shirt and shop B will give you a shirt for free when buying two silk ties).

Once you found a shop that YOU like with friendly employees and the colors/styles you are looking for go for it. Don't forget to haggle a bit about the price too; that can be lots of fun and save you some pennies (which you can then spend on a daytrip dive tour).

Any third parties (your hotel, taxi driver, friendly person etc) on the island referring you to a certain shop may be just looking for a personal commission so better just try to find one your self!

:D

Nikkyo,

Any third parties (your hotel, taxi driver, friendly person etc) on the island referring you to a certain shop may be just looking for a personal commission so better just try to find one your self!

That may be true in some cases, but all that comparison shopping is very taxing! I've known people to give up on the idea of getting clothing made simply because they feel so hassled by the high-pressure sales tactics of many tailor shops here. The "friendly person" writing this has no ulterior motive beyond recommending that the OP try the shop of her friends Renu and Amorn (whom I last saw a few days ago at the Andaman Players' performance of one-act plays). But since I really avoid publishing that sort of information in a forum, I will make it available only if I get a PM requesting it.

Quero,

My statement was (honestly) not meant as a personal attack on you.

I believe you, I do! :D

But since your statement is also true to a large extent, I only wanted to make myself clear as a (I hope) friendly person.

For those other friendly folks who DO take tourists to tailors on a commission basis, I don't guess it's anything to be ashamed of. That's how the tourist industry works, by and large.

For those other friendly folks who DO take tourists to tailors on a commission basis, I don't guess it's anything to be ashamed of.

It's nothing to be ashamed off indeed.
Quite a few businesses need other people to send them their customers to be able to survive so it works both ways.

Still, with a "direct sale" and having the "middle-man" cut out the deal the tourist may end up getting more for his/her money.

Are there any great ones in Bangkok that don't just outsource the work to a hothouse full of young children? I'll be there for a couple of days in the Spring before heading to jump a boat out of Phuket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom