Phuket/Similan Islands????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browntrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need to plan I and my wifes next trip to help get over Cocoview withdrawls. I had been thinking Fiji would be our next big trip, but the idea of traveling that far and spending that kind of cash to get 10 or so dives in isn't sitting well with me.

I have turned my attention to Phuket via Singapore and catching a 5 day liveaboard through the Similan Islands. My inital look at it leads me to believe we could do this trip for within a $1,000 of what a 7 day Fiji trip would be.

Anyone done either or both and have some input??

I've spent 6 weeks in Fiji diving a lot of different areas and islands (Wananavu, Benqa, Savu Savu, Taveuni, Kadavu). And I've also been up the coast of Thailand on a liveaboard from Phuket to the Similans.

Both are excellent destinations. Win-win.

Note that both may also be more challenging than Roatan, but there is a payback. The currents feed amazing life! If your buoyancy is good, you'll do fine. Either location will make you wonder why you bother going to the Caribbean. Seriously. Compared to Fiji and Thailand, Roatan is dead.

My .02 ...

On the west coast of Thailand, the farther north you go the more amazing the diving gets. I wouldn't bother with Phuket or south, it's mucky and not really worth the trip. The Similans are great. Richelieu Rock is amazing, world-class diving. It would be a shame to go that far and not spend some quality time exploring Thailand... it's a fantastic country full of friendly people, great food, and a fascinating culture.

If anything, the Fijians are even friendlier! Fiji is small and doesn't have as much to see as Thailand, but it's also closer -- so if time is short I would recommend Fiji instead. Be aware that most diving locations in Fiji only dive in the morning (2 dives) because the winds pick up in the afternoon and the seas get rough. You can still get the occasional afternoon or evening dive, but it isn't a sure thing. My recommendations for Fiji are either Wananvu (wide variety of critters, good photography area, and it's near Nandi), Taveuni (high current, gorgeous diving in the Somosomo straits, and a beautiful island, however an extra flight to get there), or else on a liveaboard.

Hope that helps. The bottom line is you'll have a GREAT time either way.
:D

The Similans are a wonderful dive, But Hing dang / hing mang--(something like that) are two non discript seamounts in the middle of the sea. About a 2 hour boat ride from co phi phi Excellent place for Big Fish, Pelagics, whale sharks mantas and very big baracuda

Thanks for the replies. Just the info and comparison I was looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom