Phuket or Koh Samui in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to promote Thailand as a whole and not just the little bit of the country where I live in, like you tend to do
I don't try to promote anything, I just give honest advice.

I also don't hijack threads if somebody asks about Phuket and tell them about Koh Tao
Hmm, I thought the question was about Phuket or Koh Samui?

just this week I was promoting the Phuket area for somebody planning to dive around November in Thailand.
Good, so you are giving honest advice.

Phuket gets my share of promotional advise, can you say the same for the Gulf?
I always give honest advice.
If somebody wants to go wreckdiving, my advice would be to go to Pattaya. If somebody wants to do a cheap open water course, go to Koh Tao. And for general reef and fundiving in Thailand, the Andaman Sea has the best diving.

I have the feeling you're going a bit off topic though, I did not realise the thread was about me or you.

I appreciate all of the advice given on these forums. :surrender:

I hope to meet you both soon - the first two rounds are on me. :cheers::

LK, you dive in PTY all the time, the diving in the Gulf around the Samui archipelago is much better than PTY, although there are no wrecks in recreational depth, yet.

Yes I would agree there is some good recreational diving around the Samui / Tao area, and in general the diving there is of a higher standard than the Eastern Gulf. Having said that there are also some good dives around Pattaya / Samaesan area, and of course not forgetting Koh Chang and Koh Samet. But in my mind If I were travelling from Europe for a dive specific holiday in Thailand I would consider none of these destinations. The Andaman sea has so much more to offer the recreational diver. I only have to look where most other divers go and what I have said I feel is backed up by this.
Yes at times, the weather is against the Andaman sea, also the marine parks have their annual closures meaning at times the best of the diving is not accesible. Most divers simply avoid travelling during these periods if possible. Some people are unable to be flexible when they travel, and in such cases Thailand still has a lot to offer a diver other than the Andaman, But the best diving available in Thailand is certainly not anywhere in the Gulf.
In my experience a lot of the people diving on Tao are simply there because it is 'cheap', and indeed most do not go to Koh Tao or Pattaya for dive specific holidays. That doesnt mean to say that if you are in these destinations for other reasons you can not find some decent diving.

So having said that, now going back to the original question from someone who has never been to, or dived in Thailand. I still say ' A bad day in the Andaman Sea is much better than a good day in the Gulf of Thailand'. But what do I know? I was told today, 'I spend all the time diving in Pattaya'???

I don't try to promote anything, I just give honest advice.

Hmm, I thought the question was about Phuket or Koh Samui?

Good, so you are giving honest advice.

I always give honest advice.
If somebody wants to go wreckdiving, my advice would be to go to Pattaya. If somebody wants to do a cheap open water course, go to Koh Tao. And for general reef and fundiving in Thailand, the Andaman Sea has the best diving.

I have the feeling you're going a bit off topic though, I did not realise the thread was about me or you.

Steven,

You sound like a broken record from a person with a one track mind.

Oh. Do I really????? Well that is nice to know!!

Apologies LK, your whole SB life in relation to PTY overshadowed my comment.

Apologies LK, your whole SB life in relation to PTY overshadowed my comment.

Thank you, appology accepted. I would also like to reciprocate the appology, for having an opinion that differs to your own.
Also may I be so bold as to suggest a little research could be in order before making such statements. That is of course if you expect others to give any credibility to what you are saying.

Last edited:
your whole SB life in relation to PTY overshadowed my comment.

Again, may I suggest you study the thread before making such statements, as I don't recall myself bringing Pattaya into the discussion.

LK, maybe I'm daft, but I'm referring to your SB life and your relation to PTY that you have or had. I'm not relating this to any PTY comment you made in this thread, becuase you didn't, I was just explaining why i did made the comment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom