Phuket Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi i would highly recommend the mermaid 1 or 2. Mermaid 1 does 9 day trips mermaid 2 does either 3 or 4 day trips. Both boats are STEEL not wood boats. The boats are very comfortable at sea even in rough weather. I have been on both a couple of times. Food is great and the boats are very well laid out. Mermaid 2 does similian trip for 4 days and south of phuket for 3. Do one or both as the sites are different.

...But at the same time, please don't discourage people from coming to Phuket. It's also a great place. We have plenty of 'travelers' (just as Krabi also has plenty of 'tourists'), there are tons of young English teachers and young dive pros, and we have open jam sessions as well (and Job2Do is a fairly common presence at one of them).

Spot on Quero!

:luxhello:

and we have open jam sessions as well (and Job2Do is a fairly common presence at one of them).
AWESOME! Can't wait to see them live!
I love reggae music, and I've heard Phuket has quite a few places for it :)

Bowmouth and Quero. As you both well know this is a forum where people state their opinion.

I (as you both do) make a judgement call on the places I have been in Thailand and not say too much about the places I have not. Also, when I find certain places in Thailand abhorrent I also tend to keep my mouth shut.

I lived close to Phuket town for almost a year and it was fine, mostly I like architechture of the old town and the fact that you have all the westren comforts. But having checked out appleseed's myspace page and listened to a few of his songs he struck me as a bit of a free spirit. Personally this does not fit in with my view of Phuket. To me it is more about mass tourism than travellers.

I suggested Krabi and surrounding islands because I have also lived there and it seems that this might be more in tune with appleseed motivations. Of course I might be wrong.

Also you can notice that with the majority of my posts I hardly ever rave on about where I live.

Nuff said

I will be diving at Similan Islands (just 2 day livaboard with Sunset Divers) in November.

Since they offer fast boat to get you to/from livaboard on your own schedule it makes more sense for me then fixed schedule livaboard (in my particular situation).

Having said that, the plan is to do 4 dives first day and 3 dives second day then go back home.

I am not familiar with the dive sites and I am wondering what can I do in terms of dive planning. (I will be familiar with my equipment and have 50+ dives and MSD by then including deep, wreck, nitrox, night, and PPB specialties.)

What are the general depths for the dives there?

I also hope I'll be buddied up with someone who has bit more experience (at least the same level as me) and will also dive nitrox.

AWESOME! Can't wait to see them live!
I love reggae music, and I've heard Phuket has quite a few places for it :)
Caught their show last night in Rawai. They're playing at Yoonique in Nai Harn on Aug 29, if you're on your way here by then....

Caught their show last night in Rawai. They're playing at Yoonique in Nai Harn on Aug 29, if you're on your way here by then....

AAAAAHHH!!! I'm so jealous! and no, sadly, I won't be there by then :depressed:

I am not familiar with the dive sites and I am wondering what can I do in terms of dive planning. (I will be familiar with my equipment and have 50+ dives and MSD by then including deep, wreck, nitrox, night, and PPB specialties.)
Follow the guide.

I also hope I'll be buddied up with someone who has bit more experience (at least the same level as me) and will also dive nitrox.
On that boat: normally not very experienced divers. And are you sure there will be Nitrox for you?

Follow the guide.

On that boat: normally not very experienced divers. And are you sure there will be Nitrox for you?

Well there will be 7 dives in 2 days. Follow the guide on all of them? Hm... no autonomous diving? To be honest I don't like the usual quick pace that is expected. I prefer slow dives. Plus with the guides and big group, I don't like the idea of some running out of air quick and whole group has to go up.

As far as nitrox is concerned, yes it is supposed to be available. There are 7 dives in 24 hours and I can't imagine how tired I would be if I were diving air and how limited the bottom time with air is.

Follow the guide on all of them?
On this boat: in general yes.
big group
4 divers per guide, so no big groups.
To be honest I don't like the usual quick pace that is expected.
Did you enquire about this before you booked with Sunset?? Divers?
As far as nitrox is concerned, yes it is supposed to be available. There are 7 dives in 24 hours and I can't imagine how tired I would be if I were diving air and how limited the bottom time with air is.
Normally no Nitrox on this boat, so it has to be brought in. Since normally the diving is done with guides and other people in the group, one person diving with Nitrox won't have any impact on bottom times. You should feel less tired though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom