Phuket dive operator- first time Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be in Phuket for my first time. Can anyone recommend a dive operator in Patong? I am vacation/intermediate diver. I will be traveling alone. I would rather not be on a "cattle" boat. Thanks

Hi Smilin Dave T,

Are you planning to do some daytrips from Phuket? If so then take your time to check through your daytrip options

Or there are plenty to choose from if you are thinking of a Similans Liveaboard You should be able to find one in your price bracket. You can check how many divers they each take so you can avoid any that might be considered cattle boats.

You will probably get quite a few suggestions here on this forum. Best is to have a good look and compare the options yourself.

Sunrise diving in patong(on the beach) are nice guys, although they don't have their own boat and tend to use south siam for the liveaboards which can some times get a little bit busy.

Hi, look at CoralGrandDivers, maybe something for you! Good luck with searching and have nice dives.

Cheers,

Contact Kevan and Chantal at Diving Phuket Scuba Club Thailand - PADI courses and Liveaboard scuba diving. They are a great couple from S Africa, run a superb shop and can help answer all your questions about diving in and around Phuket, whether it is day trips or liveaboards.

Just so you know....almost all the dive shops on Phuket can set you up on dives, but they pretty much act as "brokers" and send you to the 5-7 boats going out every day. Service is great....they pick you up at your hotel and drop you off at the end of the day.

Kevan and Chantal have two shops located near the beach. Beach diving is available if you need refresher training. I would strongly recommend a short live-aboard for the Similan islands and if you are traveling alone you MUST contact Chantal, esp for last-minute bookings on live-aboards.

I've used this shop on three trips to Phuket.

Feel free to PM me!!

diver Dave65

Just so you know....almost all the dive shops on Phuket can set you up on dives, but they pretty much act as "brokers" and send you to the 5-7 boats going out every day. Service is great....they pick you up at your hotel and drop you off at the end of the day. diver Dave65

True, but there are three times as many boats as that doing daytrips, just out of Phuket, without even considering those departing out of Khao Lak! By using a shop that books on many boats and by carefully arranging your daily dive itinerary you get a better chance of seeing more sites on exactly the days you want to dive since you are not tied to just one operator's weekly schedule.

OR just cut out the middle man and go straight to south siam divers in Kata, as most of the dive shops use south siam 3 and 4 anyways

OR just cut out the middle man and go straight to south siam divers in Kata, as most of the dive shops use south siam 3 and 4 anyways
The OP is looking for the not cattle boats.

Plus the boats you mention go to the Similans, there are alternatives both for daytrips and similan trips, they are not in Kata, etc.

Apologies in advance Scuba Steeve if I have misunderstood you. So are you saying that you can get the trips cheaper then? Are you also saying that South Siam and the other Thai owned boats do not need the "middle man" in order to run a successful operation?

Otherwise Quero I believe that you have it spot on - the agents have more choices with the various boat options. Also at least we all have the choice of what boat operation we use and who we prefer not to. We also have a very strong say in how these operations are run since we have a serious interest to ensure that the boat owners run professional operations - if they do not, we simply will not book our customers on them.

At the end of the day some more than others are far more selective about which boat trip operations (of course they have to be Thai owned) we choose to operate with. So Scuba Steeve, a pro as a Tour leader whether it be on a daytrip or a Liveaboard boat should know of all people that the foreign and Thai crews on all of these boats have regular jobs largely due to the business supplied by these "middle men".

Hope this puts a lot more perspective for SB members on how the boat owners and agents work together on Phuket.

Apologie excepted Bingo, you read the quote so you and everyone can see what was written, so thus answering your question, No i am not saying it's cheaper, nor am i saying that " I " can get it cheaper, as for the rest of the waffle you write, some time you should just take what's written as what it says. But just for you i will apalogise also if my choice of words was a little too... hhhmmm...what can i say a little car dealer esque! Please don't ruin another thread doing what you do. A real pro is their to give advice and help, but no problem i ain't taken offence. Oh and also the profile is just a bit of fun and a private joke between many friends so sorry if you don't get the joke!!! Oh and also i did see somewhere near the top that i first pointed to sunrise diving who as smilidavet asked (in thefirst place)are based in PATONG and they are Farrang owned. Oh but Stephenl i will most deffo appologise to you and the rest of the scubaboard guys for the typpo in my previous thread as i did indeed only mention south siam boats 3 & 4 (which indeed only cover the similan islands and richy rock)as i meant to also say south siam boats 1 and 2 (which are running everyday to both king cruiser and racha yai, book early folk and avoid the rush). and i already quite rightly pointed out that they get a little busy at times, as to the location may i also apologise again as indeedy they are in fact in Karon and NOT in Kata. ETC. ok well that's me for sarcasm and apologies, am off to look up how to spell apologies and polish me medals (fnarr fnarr) oh and sorry if you want to continue this and come back with some other posts but i refuse to lower myself and respond to any posts other than nice ones (and my mum is checking em so be nice!!) cheers me dears no hard feeling and happy diving Smili whatever you decide i am sure you will find all dive centres in phuket such lovely places!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****SOUTH SIAM DIVERS would like to point out that in no such way are they or will they or can they or even have they any desire whatsoever to be affiliated with SCUBASTEEVIE. A statement from Ms Aoy Petnarong of SOUTH SIAM DIVERS read.........." Scuba who? ain't that the little bloke off the telly ". ****

ENUFFF WITH THE SARCASM ALREADY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom