Photoshop help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
I don't think it could really be adjusted anymore without losing the integrity of the original.
I tried 4 different ways -- levels, curves, multiple layers with blend mode "screen", and the nifty PSE3 feature "shadows and highlights".

They all came out about the same as Leesa's and others, hence my recommendation to the original poster that he go back and twiddle the adjustments on the scanner itself to try and compensate for the underexposure there.

howarde:
That's about the same progress I made as well. I don't think it could really be adjusted anymore without losing the integrity of the original.

Thanks to all

Yes, I could rescan the slide but with my limited knowledge on photo processing I am better off re taking the picture and get it right the first time.

I am really just reviewing some of my slides for all the mistakes I made. I am taking notes on animal behavior to improve future photo opportunities. Like this group of Fairy Basslets for example, using a Nikon 20mm in a domeport, I wanted to pack these guys as tight as possible.

The way to really do this, short of packing them in an aquarium, is to gently “herd” them to an area where they feel secure, like within the branches of this green coral. The problem is that the branches are blocking the strobe’s light except for the top center strobe, note the sponge on the bottom right is the only thing lit by the right strobe. That darn cleaner wrasse didn't help either nor did the coral hang in the middle of a steep dropoff with nothing to brace myself.

My objective is to capture the fine details and color, esp. the males (the ones with the bright orange stripe across the eye) not just in macro but at close focus wide angle, group shot.

I hope dramatically improve this shot with the 8080 with better strobe positioning and the all important LCD feedback!

Thanks again for all your efforts, just think how much easier it would be if I had it right in the first place.

Dive Safe

Al

After trying both film and digital... With digital just seems so much easier to get good photos.

Trust your LCD.

f3nikon:
Thanks Jeff, the layering method is new to me (actually, all this is new to me) and I am very open to try this out. Any type or software you would recommend for beginners?

Not really interested in printing just how to improve the next shots. The original was dark but the scan turn out darker than the slide, I still learning this as well.

Thanks for the image saving tips a well.

Dive Safe

Al

Al,

Two options with scanning. You should be able to lighten the scan in the controls. I don't know which scanner/software you are using, but all of them have lightness/darkness, contrast, etc. controls. If it were me, I would rescan it. Do as much work as you can in the scan before importing it to Photoshop. As for other programs, if you are even mildly interested in photography, just start using photoshop. Photoshop Elements is a good beginning place. But, really, almost every other image manipulation program is based on photoshop, anyway...so there isn't much point in learning anything else.

The other option regarding scanning, is taking the photo to pretty much any photo lab, even WalMart, and ask them to scan it and put it on a disk. That way, you will at least see what you really have.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom