Photoshop help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtoorish:
What do you want to do with this photo?

If you are interested in printing it, then you really need it to be at least 240 ppi for most printers.

If you are interested in just seeing it on your computer, then 72 ppi is fine.

One thing you can try to do bring up the picture, hit ctl J (cmd J on a Mac) and that creates a new layer on top of the original layer. In the layers palate you can then change the type of layer, from normal to, say screen, to bring out more detail. You can do this as many times as you want, and then adjust the opacity on the top layer.

This is a fix for a shot that went haywire, and can be useful.

Just remember, if you are keeping this as a JPEG, everytime you open it and save it again (not just open it and close it) you are losing information...and eventually you will wind up with a jagged photo that is pretty worthless.

In my studio, we use JPEGs ONLY for sending as very small proofs to clients.

Is the original photo that dark, or was it a scanning issue?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, the layering method is new to me (actually, all this is new to me) and I am very open to try this out. Any type or software you would recommend for beginners?

Not really interested in printing just how to improve the next shots. The original was dark but the scan turn out darker than the slide, I still learning this as well.

Thanks for the image saving tips a well.

Dive Safe

Al

F3Nikon - if you're going to e-mail me the originals, so that I can put them on the web for you... I would do it soon... Football starts in 22 minutes, and I'll be doing that the rest of the day.

Sorry about that Howard, I tried to email twice I think the problem is on my end the file is 7MB! I keep getting an error on my end. Better off watching the game until I get my stuff together here, tried emailing someone else, got the same problem. Thanks Al

That's cool... I can take any size e-mail as I have my own mail server. I'll check back at halftime.

Ok... I have your original, and it's here : http://howardandmichelle.com/dive/image2.tif

It a 7MB TIFF file for anyone who wants to give this a shot. It seems to me that since it is a scan, there's only so far you can go before it gets too grainy.

Ok, here is my shot at the picture.

I played with the levels, sharpness and the saturation of the picture. I then erased the backscatter and the noise

justleesa:
Ok, here is my shot at the picture.

I played with the levels, sharpness and the saturation of the picture. I then erased the backscatter and the noise

I get nothing when I click on this link.

I was able to lighten it up a little but it gets a little grainy if you play around too much.

I agree with charlie99 that re-scanning and perhaps trying to adjust gamma pre-scan would yield a better starting point for photoshop.

well shucks...sorry 'bout that.

here is the upload...

justleesa:
well shucks...sorry 'bout that.

That's about the same progress I made as well. I don't think it could really be adjusted anymore without losing the integrity of the original.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom