Photoshop CS2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone upgraded to this? If so want to tell about it?

I just downloaded the tryout yesterday but I haven't looked at it yet. I'm not sure if the tryout will be a true reflection as it's only around 336Mb while the full version is over 600Mb. I don't have time right now but I might install it later and have a look. You can get it free from the Adobe site and it works for a month (I think).

I've read that it is having problems with NEF (Nikon raw files).

I've also heard that the license only extends to one computer. While that may be fine for the average user, most of us that work in the design and image making world have more than one computer - laptop and desktop etc...

I would hate to have to by two upgrades to CS.

I played a bit with CS2 and so far I am not overly impressed. The biggest improvement I could see is Adobe Bridge which will let you browse files a bit easier and faster than the old browse function on CS. As far as manipulating pictures, I have not notice much differences otherwise however I am not the expert in PS and only use a handful of functions anyhow.
The only reason for me to upgrade is because I need ACR 3.1 so I can use PS with D2X NEF file. I suppose Adobe figure that if I could spend enough money on a D2X then there is no reason that I should not give Adobe some money as well! Otherwise I have not really seen any real reason for CSII over CS yet.

BigJetDriver69:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations about plug-in's to handle RAW files??

Rob

Depending on your camera, you may have to go to Adobe website and download ACR 3.1 which added supports for a number of new cameras.

Well I can't check Nikon files as I use the Olympus ORF format. I don't know about the licence thing but I do know they have started using the activation technology like Windows. Personally I think that if I buy some software I should be able to use it where I like. When manufacturers do things like that IMO they only have themselves to blame when people then write key generators etc. which take a couple of minutes to find on the web! (not that I am advocating doing that!!!)

BigJetDriver69:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations about plug-in's to handle RAW files??

Rob

Rob - both PS Elements 3 and Photoshop CS1/2 natively handle at least Olympus RAW files (.ORF) without a plug-in.

OE2X:
I've read that it is having problems with NEF (Nikon raw files).

I've also heard that the license only extends to one computer. While that may be fine for the average user, most of us that work in the design and image making world have more than one computer - laptop and desktop etc...

I would hate to have to by two upgrades to CS.

Don't know about the license part as I only have it on one computer so far but it is probably true.
Adobe and Nikon is hashing out some agreement currently so hopefully the issue will be resolved in the near future.
Currently ACR 3.1 will read NEF file from D2X but cannot access the encrypted whitebalance info so technically you cannot get "as shot" picture. However ACR 3.1 will make a best guess at "as shot" data (whatever that means). For now, Nikon Capture 4 is probably the way to go (however it is slow, a memory hog and will slow down your work flow quite a bit) but I find it is handy with handling NEF file. However I have not tried other 3rd party RAW converter such as Bible etc which cracked the encrypted whitebalance info.

Back
Top Bottom