Photos: Breakwater Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryssyr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had a great day of diving yesterday @ Breakwater. Vis was great for the late afternoon dive. Thanks to Michelle and Greg for being good sports while I delt with a problem with the intermediate pressure on my first stage after servicing. My BC kept inflating slowly and I had issues with dumping air, but it was manageable. Back to the shop.

We saw a lot of fish on the night dive as well as a ton of clear tube worm-ish creatures. I had not been out at night in Monterey and did not expect the large amount of shrimp. Also got my first octopus sighting in the bay.

Here are the pictures.

-Robin

Great shots, thanks for posting them.

very nice! I have yet to see a Octopus at the breakwater, that's a neat pic.

great pics! I'll be doing some shore diving on Jan. 19th and 20th. Can you describe a good dive profile for Breakwater? I've never done a shore dive here so your input is appreciated. Thx, Chris

Hey Robin,
It was nice chatting with you guys yesterday... too bad we had to hit the road the Breakwater did look amazing and it would have been great to get a night dive in...

Maybe next time.

Ben

Robin,

As always your photos are stunning, nice ones of the octupus. So what went wrong with your BC and inflator hose? Was the valve stuck just enough to add air at a small trickle?

How long before you realized what was occuring, what was your depth? What I'm looking to find is how you reacted to such a new experience.

Thanks,

MG

Nice photos Robin, It was fun running into you and Michelle as I was leaving. Sorry I missed Ben. Yes, conditions in the morning was unbelievably good. 30-40' vis, dead calm. Only thing, surface air temps never got above the low 50s I don't think, and in the afternoon a bit of a breeze came up. Still a super day at the BW.

Robin,

As always your photos are stunning, nice ones of the octupus. So what went wrong with your BC and inflator hose? Was the valve stuck just enough to add air at a small trickle?

How long before you realized what was occuring, what was your depth? What I'm looking to find is how you reacted to such a new experience.

Thanks,

MG

What I think happened was after servicing the IP pressure is too high on the first stage. I'll take it back to the shop to find out exactly whats going on. This didnt happen until *after* it was serviced. I guess its what I get for doing my annual service. :doh2:

great pics! I'll be doing some shore diving on Jan. 19th and 20th. Can you describe a good dive profile for Breakwater? I've never done a shore dive here so your input is appreciated. Thx, Chris

Everyone dives the site a little differently, and I cant comment for them, but my last dozen or so dives at Breakwater have been either to the Metridium fields or along the wall to the end of the wall. All of those dives have been on a single HP 100 (Air) and depending on buddies and how cold it is, we usually spend ~ 1 hour on the dive. We typically enter far left or far right at the beach, swim out on the surface for a while then go down. On the trip back we try to do a swimming safety stop and make it into the shallows before coming up.

There is a lot of variation to the dives you can perform, and I will let others comment on their experiences. You can see a lot and I find new things there everytime, but I'm easily amused as long as its underwater.

Great pictures Robin! i can't wait to dive monterey again! its been far too long!

Back
Top Bottom