Photon Torpedo Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaToys sells the whole SL4 eLED light for about ~$50.00. These are rated at 3-5 watts (33-38 Average Lumens) using 4 c-cells. I'm wondering what the output would be when using the LED module from one of these as a drop in replacement in the 3 c-cell backup lights, like the PT or Scout.

Dave

I have and use both a Photon Torpedo LED, and a Tektite 3 C cell LED light. I like them both. I feel that the Tektite is somewhat more ruggedly made, but the Photon Torpedo with the LED module has better light output.

The two lights are pretty close to the same size since they are both 3 C cell lights. Each light has a double O ring seal around the light head and each is fixed focus with no external switch as each of the lights has you turn the light head to activate the light.

The LED module from Underwater Kinetics used with the Photon Torpedo has a nice tight beam with a high color temperature. For backup light use I think it is an excellent choice. The overall size of each of the lights is not a bother to me, since they each remain stored on my shoulder straps on my harness. Right or wrong I think that the burn time on the Photon Torpedo is shorter than the Tektite. In my case I choose to consider the Photon Torpedo as my first backup light, and the Tektite as my second backup. The reason I consider the Tektite as the second backup is that I percieve it to be slightly more rugged and therefore my choice for the last ditch it has got to work light.

I use these lights for cave diving so I choose to set the bar pretty high on quality, and price is less of a factor. Your considerations are probably very different.

I can say without hesitation that I can recommend both of these lights. If you are considering an extremely dependable, rugged LED backup light you are looking at one of the best with the Photon Torpedo LED.

Mark Vlahos

How bright is the photon torpedo with the LED? Can you make a comparison to another light (UK or some other manuf)?

Hoyden:
............[snip]................ Now if Chuck would just make a short body for those of us with short bodies...

I read on another board, that he was coming out with a 2 C-cell version

I'd like shorter lights too.

SteveFass:
How bright is the photon torpedo with the LED? Can you make a comparison to another light (UK or some other manuf)?

led-1meter.jpg

http://www.cnsales.net/led-2meter.jpg
http://www.cnsales.net/led-8.3meter.jpg

Mark, I've dropped a PT-LED from chest height onto concrete (by accident of course...dang thing slipped out of my hands the day I got it! :shakehead). Still works great, no issues at all. I'd say they're pretty tough.

loquat149:
ScubaToys sells the whole SL4 eLED light for about ~$50.00. These are rated at 3-5 watts (33-38 Average Lumens) using 4 c-cells. I'm wondering what the output would be when using the LED module from one of these as a drop in replacement in the 3 c-cell backup lights, like the PT or Scout.

Dave

should be the same. the head is the same.

Tavi:
I read on another board, that he was coming out with a 2 C-cell version

I'd like shorter lights too.

yeah, but that was ages ago.... wondering when, if ever he's coming out with them..... looking forward to getting a couple as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom