photography class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, I don't know if this is the best place to ask this but here I am.

I found an on line class and wondered if anyone had used it. I know nothing except that I need a new camera to get nice shots. Im in the R&D stage now and came across this site. http://www.underwaterphotography.com/handbook/index.html

I thought it may be able to instruct me on f.stops and such...I didn't want to sign up until I got some input.

Thanks,
Jill

ps.. I contacted Reef Photo in anticipation of a new purchase but the questions are SO over my head.:dork2:

Jill, not quite sure where in New Jersey you are, but you should consider joining the New York Underwater Photo Society. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Jason Heller (co-founder of the group) is extremely knowledgeable. They have excellent speakers at their monthly meetings, and everyone there is extremely friendly and willing to share their knowledge. check it out at www.nyups.org

Best of luck with your new adventure!

If you click on the Underwater Cameras section, you can see the content. If that's all there is in the hidden sections - I'm underimpressed...

I think you'd learn more from reading a good book.

And if you haven't, check out the Sticky right here in the UW Photo area - it contains a wealth of information to help you get started. And there is a link to various books and reference materials that will also help you on your first journey into UW Photography.

The course you linked is very basic - it does have some good information but not a lot that cannot be found here, in the linked resources or simply by asking :wink:

Jill, not quite sure where in New Jersey you are, but you should consider joining the New York Underwater Photo Society. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Jason Heller (co-founder of the group) is extremely knowledgeable. They have excellent speakers at their monthly meetings, and everyone there is extremely friendly and willing to share their knowledge. check it out at www.nyups.org

Best of luck with your new adventure!

Thanks for that idea but it does give me another idea to see if there is a photoclub in South Jersey! Im by Atlantic City.
Thanks again, Jill

And if you haven't, check out the Sticky right here in the UW Photo area - it contains a wealth of information to help you get started. And there is a link to various books and reference materials that will also help you on your first journey into UW Photography.

The course you linked is very basic - it does have some good information but not a lot that cannot be found here, in the linked resources or simply by asking :wink:

Thanks for you info..That was my concern, that it would not be indepth enough to take the camera off of "automode"
Jill

my recommendation it is to take a digital photography class at a local Junior college or a tradition Dark room class ether one of these will help you understand the mechanics of you camera a lot better. these will help you understand you camera better and then you can take what you learn in these classes and apply it to U/W photography.

as for that sight i looks like a scam to me. i would guess that there is hardly any useful info there. your better off spending the money on a good photography book

My $0.02.....

Shoot alot topside (hey its free with digital) to see how shutter speed and aperture affects your shots.

Next hit the pool or local quarry and practice some more.

Then either go on a trip with more advanced photographers (like ones sposored by Wetpixel.com or digitaldiver.net) where help and advice are given freely. You could also go to a resort with a photo pro on-site for some one-on-one training.

Dave

Thanks everyone for all your opinions. I have gotten great ones on SB in everything I ask and have used great dive ops and met great people because of them.

BTW... I'm going to the Library!! LOL:dork2:

JillGadget, I love your .sig... i waited til after I got a divorce at around 35 to start diving - I used to draw pics of underwater scenes, watched Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (even got a model of SeaView for Christmas one year), watched Jacques Cousteau every time he'd come on. Then, I let everything in the world keep me from even trying diving until I finally did it and have not quit since (just this year, went back to Belize in March, back to Cozumel in June, in 3 weeks head to Fiji!).
I have an Olympus Stylus 600 with the Oly PT-029 uwater housing, and a Sealife strobe which works out GREAT for me. My camera is pretty automatic but also has some settings which let me do my best to screw up a shot <grin>....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom