Photographers make the worst dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and one more thought. You imply that if I was getting paid and working for someone sitting at a desk somewhere selling publications to other people sitting in lazy-boy's, that my risk would be more legitimate. I emphatically disagree.

I and my regular DB did the "proactive" airshare thing regularly on a trip last year (we´re both comfortable with it, have training, experience yada, yada) but a DM friend of ours (who knows all this) still felt compelled to tell us he didn´t like us doing it even though he said he understood...I asked him why and he couldn´t give me a single reason why it would be "bad" for us...

Perhaps this was because newer divers were there as well and might get the wrong idea...

As long as you don´t violate thirds (or whatever the plan is) I don´t see a problem with doing it...noone´s yet given me a good reason why it should be so assuming my buddy is ok with it I for one will keep sharing air proactively...

catherine96821:
Oh and one more thought. You imply that if I was getting paid and working for someone sitting at a desk somewhere selling publications to other people sitting in lazy-boy's, that my risk would be more legitimate. I emphatically disagree.

Actually I said I beleive that it's foolish to risk one's life for an image. However I do believe that Photography can influence, and change the world. I think if those are the types of images that one is attempting, that the risk is more legitimate as are the potential rewards and benifits.

IMO putting one's life on the line to broadcast horrible events in an effort to bring change is a LOT more of a legitimate reason for putting one's life at risk vs. snapshots of a vacation.

However I am certainly not here to tell anyone how to live their life. My opionions are just that, my opinions. :D

Frank, I do understand what you are saying. I am not as benevolent. When I am diving and taking pictures, I am just trying to have enough fun to get me through the produce aisle and the carpool the next few days. Honestly, I do appreciate your well thought out opinion, and like I said, I better realize my responsibility to other divers. More people agree with you, I concede. I think certain personalities find refuge in the whole Solo diving thing. I am wanting something in-between, where I can enjoy the company of another diver and not be so responsible for him. I have no desire to dive solo most of the time. Tell me this, If I get a pony and my BF gets a pony, will people who think as you do generally be comfortable with people like us around? I really want to know, because I am pretty respectful of other people.

I am really sorry Ron, that I have been calling you the wrong name. (your last name) I notice you are not answering my question. I was just perusing the "plus-size" forum where you tell the lady she can go gain 200 lbs and you are still totally comfortable diving with her. Well, I don't get it. I would never be insensitive to an overweight person. But believe me, if she is already overweight and gains 200 lbs., that is way more dangerous and life threatening than anything I am doing on a long hose. I realize I am being assertive on this point, but you gave voice to an opinion shared by others and I am just asking if there is any accepted position half-way between solo diving and what I decribe? Even people that tell you to go get a pony, when you ask them about the set-up, you find they are not actually using one.

dpbishop:
To answer the question, photographers are not the worst buddies; Macro photographers are. They will spend a whole tank of air covering 10 sq.ft. while the non-photo buddy hangs around twiddling his thumbs.

Have you found yourself on a dive with a hunter/gatherer? Out comes the catch bag and you start zig zagging al over heck. I don't mind chilling out and following a photograpgher ans potting shots.

BTW solo mentality & ponies sound like a good idea.

Pete

catherine96821:
Tell me this, If I get a pony and my BF gets a pony, will people who think as you do generally be comfortable with people like us around?

I have a buddy that does some wreck and deep enough boat diving, he may very well be doing UW photography as a hobby since it's part of his professional life. He chooses to dive with a pony and nitrox at all times as SOP. I don't give it a second thought on a shore dive. Divers with ponies are not terribly common around here but we do see them.

Nothing wrong with being self reliant. Many schools of though put your buddies air well down on the list of resources.

As always being dead clear on roles and responsibilities pre-dive is key.

Pete

But, Pete: Can you travel with that pony bottle? If you empty it, can you check it? Wow, that would make me so nervous to see a tank going into the baggage compartment.....

I am also some one who dives with a camera. I own a pony rig and a twin set but do the majority of my dives on 12 litre tanks (80 cubic feet for the non metric). I try not to be the buddy from hell when I have my camera, but after talking with my dive buddies about the difference between me with camera and me just diving they said give the camera a miss. Its the dive profiles that gets them with out camera nice conservative profiles, with camera profiles that look like the teeth from a saw due to chasing the critters. As for air consumption 110 bar (1600 psi) is turn round point 60 bar ( 900 psi) is 5m safety stop time I love diving with people on imperial guages cos if you can do the conversions in your head your not narced. I dive in South Western Saudi Arabia and getting bent is not an option, Recompression Facilities are over 750 km away and may not be working. So we are wary, plus the boats we use are entertaining to say the least I now take my own tool kit luckily most of the boats use Yamaha engines so have spare plugs, thermostats etc that work in the majority of occasions. As for drift diving trying to explain to the fishermen what we want is impossible, we all ways have to flog our way back to the boat a drift dive would be a luxuary. We all ways leave one of us on the boat to try to give some top cover not lost anyone yet.

catherine96821:
But, Pete: Can you travel with that pony bottle? If you empty it, can you check it? Wow, that would make me so nervous to see a tank going into the baggage compartment.....

I don't have one.

From my reading here many do travel with them. Yes you do need to pull the valve and I suppose the means a VIP at each end of the trip. A small price to pay for those that value the security.

I would imagine renting a cylinder at the destination is usually an option as well but availabilty may be sketchy.

Nervous? We have folks on top of this stuff, didn't you hear? :D

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom