Photographers make the worst dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband is the photographer. Before we dive, we both tell the DM's that my husband is my buddy but also a photographer so, I will be sticking rather close to the DM instead of my husband. I "try" not to worry about my husband. (I do occasionally look to see where he is at.) There are usually 2-3 DM's there with the group. I find I miss a lot if I try to follow the "hubby" around. On another note, if I stay close to the DM, I get to see a lot more that the DM points out (unless he or she is preoccupied with an unexperienced diver). Oh, yes , we both cary spare air!

Dee:
But since I've backed off and am putting more thought into my photos, I seldom fill half the CF card but the vast majority of those are good keepers. The old saying 'Less is More' certainly is true in this case.
And then for some of us, we realize that we aren't really doing anything with the "keepers" and don't bother taking a photo unless 1). We want to record some specific details about a critter/plant, or 2). It's something unusual.

catherine96821:
..I call it parasiting! Once I anticipate a big disparity underway on the air supply, I will put my regular dive partner on my long hose and attempt to "time us" together especially when it involves the group's bottom time or a boat pick-up on a drift....
It was on Cozumel drift dives with an insta-buddy that I did the proactive air share several times (after warning others in the group so they wouldn't freak out). He was a new diver and him doing a solo ascent wasn't appropriate, so to extend the dive for both of us we'd share air for a 1000psi or so while drifting along early in the dive. A bigger tank would have been a better solution, but that with that dive op you had the choice of an AL80 or an AL80. Unless of course, you preferred an AL80. :)

I found that a standard 40" octo is plenty of room, particularly when using a side breathing Dacor Vyper that can go directly into the recipient's mouth without an extra 180 degree turn of the hose.

yup, the pre-warning nice for the dive guide. Funny, I never see anyone else doing this early share. Maybe we are the only ones...is it an old school NAUI thing?

midwestdvr:
You could say I have a multiple personality disorder when diving. Without a camera, I can be one of the best buddy you can have out there. Always stays close by and keeps my eye on the buddy. Put a camera on my hand and I become a different diver. I tend not to pay as close an attention to my buddy as I should have. There are also times where I've thought to myself, take this shot or quit and chase my slowly disappering buddy? At times, I've rented DMs just so that I have a buddy that will stay by me as I take a pic (plus they're usually good at finding critters).

Midwestdvr, thanks for the best laugh I had all day!

catherine96821:
yup, the pre-warning nice for the dive guide. Funny, I never see anyone else doing this early share. Maybe we are the only ones...is it an old school NAUI thing?

if you send me your E address (by PM) I will e you a short slide show (about 8 slides) of the sharks in Palau. I put this together just to learn how to do things with the slide show program.

The floggings will continue until morale improves :D

Many feel that if one is doing underwater photography, than one is diving solo. I would agree that when one is consentrating on photography one is NOT paying as much attention to a buddy. However my Cuz and I both enjoy UW photography, and we managed to stick together very well.

The way we did this was to just stay close. When she stopped to take an image, I'd find something nearby to shoot, or would just hang out next to her, and wait until she was ready to move on.

If you are within touching distance, than you maintain a good buddy relationship as if something does go wrong, you can get one anothers attention with a grab of the arm or fin.

As for putting Jim on your air supply, that's a bit of a scary way to dive. When he is low on air, you should be using your octo only to get you both safely to the surface, not to extend the dive. What happens if something goes wrong with your air? Now you have two divers at depth, with basically little air, and little room for anything to go wrong. There are many solutions to extending his air supply, the simple solution is to get ahold of some larger tanks.

As for the desire to push limits to get a photo, why? I can certainly understand the urge to capture great images. However you need to remind yourself that putting an image over your safety, or that of your buddies, is foolish. If you were on an assignment, and shooting for a living, or a dive magazine, or documenting marine life as a biologist, then there is more of a reason for taking risks. However it's still foolish, and most professional photographers do not put their life on the line, even if some photojournalists do when say covering a war.

I'd also remind you that if you are in fact touching live coral, you are potentially destroying an environment that you are there to enjoy. If every diver went about grabbing live coral, then there would be less beauty in the world, and for what reason? I apologize if the coral was dead, so just a reminder.

Enjoy the photography, but take care of your buddy!

RonFrank:
The floggings will continue until morale improves :D

Many feel that if one is doing underwater photography, than one is diving solo. I would agree that when one is consentrating on photography one is NOT paying as much attention to a buddy. However my Cuz and I both enjoy UW photography, and we managed to stick together very well.

The way we did this was to just stay close. When she stopped to take an image, I'd find something nearby to shoot, or would just hang out next to her, and wait until she was ready to move on.

If you are within touching distance, than you maintain a good buddy relationship as if something does go wrong, you can get one anothers attention with a grab of the arm or fin.

As for putting Jim on your air supply, that's a bit of a scary way to dive. When he is low on air, you should be using your octo only to get you both safely to the surface, not to extend the dive. What happens if something goes wrong with your air? Now you have two divers at depth, with basically little air, and little room for anything to go wrong. There are many solutions to extending his air supply, the simple solution is to get ahold of some larger tanks.

As for the desire to push limits to get a photo, why? I can certainly understand the urge to capture great images. However you need to remind yourself that putting an image over your safety, or that of your buddies, is foolish. If you were on an assignment, and shooting for a living, or a dive magazine, or documenting marine life as a biologist, then there is more of a reason for taking risks. However it's still foolish, and most professional photographers do not put their life on the line, even if some photojournalists do when say covering a war.

I'd also remind you that if you are in fact touching live coral, you are potentially destroying an environment that you are there to enjoy. If every diver went about grabbing live coral, then there would be less beauty in the world, and for what reason? I apologize if the coral was dead, so just a reminder.

Enjoy the photography, but take care of your buddy!

I do believe Catherine was talking about holding on at blue corner. There is no coral on top of the wall where the shark action is.

thanks. I am shopping a pony as we speak.

Your post made me think about why I like taking pictures. Do I want to be a pro? Is my major objective to improve my technical skills? No. I like the layer of difficulty that it adds to the dive experience. To get a nice (not outstanding) image while surfing all the variables is what really drives me. To be really honest Frank, that is why. If it were much, much safer and I was not afraid of the sharks, the current, losing my buddy, I doubt it would hold much appeal. Thats why I don't ...ever shoot birds, for example. You want to know something really crazy? I had never turned my Nikon on before I put it in the housing and dropped to 100 ft or so. I will never forget that day, in Blue Holes several years ago. That says a lot. If I cared about the photography more, I would have also read the manual. My images are just little trophies I bring back to relive the experience. The camera topside holds no interest for me and that is why I will never be a top-notch photographer, like yourself. This thread and everyone's input made me realize what it is about for me. My goal should be to continue my little bit of thrill seeking while minimizing any negative effect on others. I need to not impose on people that are made uncomfortable by unorthodox manuevers. Having said that, I want you to know I assess risks very carefully because it always comes down to "is it worth it?" .
Sometimes, it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom