Photographers make the worst dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Charlie... you've already started the process by recognizing the problem(s).

Not only is it great to get your buddy involved as a photography assistant/critter spotter but how about putting him in some of the pictures as well? If he is your model you will be watching him closely, right?

In my opinion, you both need to sit down one night at dinner and discuss how you are going to manage each other, your gas supply, your environment, and then toss in a camera. By the time one diver is low on air and breathing off the long hose, its really time to end the dive, no matter how cool that picture is.

Please dive safe!

dpbishop:
If your BF is a Marine officer my guess is he does'nt want you to dive solo. When my GF did photography I followed her like a hawk just to make sure she didn't get in trouble since she gets so focused in the shot that she forgets everything else. It seems the first thing you need is a bigger tank for the BF so he can save your butt when you run out of air, not the other way around.

To answer the question, photographers are not the worst buddies; Macro photographers are. They will spend a whole tank of air covering 10 sq.ft. while the non-photo buddy hangs around twiddling his thumbs.

You are so right. He is right there when I need him. And yes..... I have a 105 mm Macro and I did notice in the German Channel last week, he was looking a little antsy and bored after 40 minutes in one spot!

This doesn't sound like the typical "not paying attention to buddy" photographer issue. This sounds more like somebody who is willing to take risks with somebody else's safety in order to get a picture.

I've gotten used to being a photographer's buddy, since both of my most frequent dive partners use cameras, and I'm okay with watching them and hanging out while they shoot pictures. But I would not be okay with them making me follow them into unsafe situations to get "that perfect shot". In this case, it sounds like you were willing to take a risk of depriving your buddy of his air supply to get a picture. I hate to sound harsh, but I think you need to think about this real hard. Either discipline yourself to forego the shot or dive solo -- or make sure your dive buddy knows you'll risk his safety for a picture and let him make his own decision.

It's a different type of 'buddy' diving to say the least. If the plan is you are an assistant to your photographer buddy, then dive that plan, and all that it entails. For example you are the look-out to keep up with the group (say drift diving in cozumel) and to make sure you buddy is made aware of changing circumstances. When I've played this role in the past, I make contact with my photographer/videographer buddy on periodic basis, paying close attention not to interfere with the shot. If we are night diving I make sure my dive light doesn't interfere with the shot but is forward of their view or in the periphery (spelling) to make sure they are aware constantly of my presense.

In the end, many of the u/w photograhers & videographers I know are strictly solo divers.

Uncle Pug:
I agree with Charlie... you've already started the process by recognizing the problem(s).

Not only is it great to get your buddy involved as a photography assistant/critter spotter but how about putting him in some of the pictures as well? If he is your model you will be watching him closely, right?

Great feedback. Uncle Pug, I follow your posts closely and think you are spot on and always have very useful info. (I have been meaning to ask you to please expound on the "120 rule of thumb")

Yes, I do use him as a model. It is great because, you know how some people just always seem to have their fins in a good position? Well, he makes for a great diver profile. I think we have all been trying to shoot divers that have "modeling Issues". OR my pet peeve-----Aggghhh------NEON. Those yellow fins are the worst because then it looks like the leg just ends in a stump.

TSandM:
This doesn't sound like the typical "not paying attention to buddy" photographer issue. This sounds more like somebody who is willing to take risks with somebody else's safety in order to get a picture.

I've gotten used to being a photographer's buddy, since both of my most frequent dive partners use cameras, and I'm okay with watching them and hanging out while they shoot pictures. But I would not be okay with them making me follow them into unsafe situations to get "that perfect shot". In this case, it sounds like you were willing to take a risk of depriving your buddy of his air supply to get a picture. I hate to sound harsh, but I think you need to think about this real hard. Either discipline yourself to forego the shot or dive solo -- or make sure your dive buddy knows you'll risk his safety for a picture and let him make his own decision.

Oh, believe me, he knows that. That is part of my dilemma. And I am thinking about it or I would not be looking for feedback. I guess what I want you to know is that I honestly have to say, that I am not willing to dive without the camera and we are not willing to dive without each other (when together) and I am looking for some strategies to augment my approach. I would not have done this 800 dives ago. I would not do it with my Aunt. Still, I have feelings both ways. People that have the solo "self autonomy" philosophy, bring something to the table for us. I am thinking a pony or two might be in order since we are both unwilling to play it so safe that we are bored. I know I will take heat on this, but boredom is a problem for some people and it can make you as unsafe as ignorance, equipment failure, etc. I need to work within certain parameters, that being what is an acceptable standard of prudence for us I am sure I sound defensive, its just that I think the issues warrants discusssion because I see this same scenario all over the place, not limited to us.

I don't want you to think that I'm suggesting a freakishly boring and conservative dive. Photography is great! I try to do it as much as I can in the cavern zone, but as a trade off I have to become even more aware of whats happening around me.

Diving with a buddy, esecially a close friend, makes diving more enjoyable. But your saftey is paramount. I think that you two should make out a plan on how you will do your photo dives and stick to it.

Managing your gas supply, depth, times, etc. will keep you safe and help you to enjoy your time underwater. Could you have gotten a better shot of that shark if you weren't teathered via a long hose? Maybe you're both at a place in your diving where its time to up the gas supply a bit so you can get those longer bottom times, while still having a safe amount in reserve.

Wanting to move toward a safer way of doing things is great! Think about your options and how to best approach the issue.

Catherine,

When I take the camera out I tend to forget about everyone else. I stay focused on getting that perfect shot. Do you dive with a 63 or 80? I dive with a 63 and Vince dives with an 80 so we stay even on our air. Maybe James needs a camera now. When I started taking pictures I noticed I didn't go through my air as fast.

Melissa

I'm not exactly risk averse, but I would be very uncomfortable sharing air with someone who's trying to take pictures. I appreciate the fact that you had both done this before, but in my mind, once you are sharing air everything else besides a nice, controlled, safe ascent goes out the window. Perhaps that's only because I had an o-ring blow on my first stage while in the water recently. I can happen. It does happen.

If you both had air & alternate sources such as pony's that weren't part of your planning and were purely for backup, it would be different in my mind.

Then again, being rather new to diving, maybe I'm looking at that all wrong.

:)

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom