Photo sensor on SeaLife strobe has failed -- repairable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Wilkman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a SeaLife 1200 Elite a couple years back. Mid dive it just stopped firing the strobe (my reward was a lot of 'shadow fish' :D).

I've debugged it to the photo sensor at the strobe head itself. It is not tripping at all so the strobe never gets the signal to fire.

I can't find a part for it but it would be a shame to have to drop nearly $300 on a new head for a $3 part. Tips?

-Rich

Yep, contact Sealife. Great customer service. I am not sure what they will do, but I bet you'll like it. :wink:

Thanks. I'll be buggered if I can see how as the part is embedded in the unit, but I'll drop them a note. I miss the old days of parts diagrams. :(

-Rich

Just closing the loop. I exchanged some email back and forth with Sealife to make sure my diagnostics hadn't missed something stupid. No joy (or, some joy because I hadn't missed something stupid :)), so an RMA was issued. Sent it in and then got it back. As near as I can tell, the whole encased innards were swapped, but it works again! No muss, no fuss. I wish I knew what was actually wrong, but that's small potatoes.

Props to the folks at SeaLife! I should have sent it in earlier instead of having it as a roundtoit project.

Guess I can go and illuminate more fish butts. How *do* they know the right time to turn tail? :D

-Rich

Back
Top Bottom