Photo Editing Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I just got a new apple lap top computer and want to get a photo editing program. I've heard people talk about Photoshop Lightroom 3 and Apature 3. Is one better than the other for UW Photography? Thanks.

Matt

Sorry for the double post.

I vote for Photoshop CS3 or whatever version they are up to.

I use Apple Aperture 3 for most photo adjustments and it is a great program. For Artistic stuff I use Photoshop elements with Topaz filters. The full Photoshop Program is very expensive and more oriented towards the professional IMO. Elements has every thing you should need to get started. There are so many filter programs available you can add to Photoshop Elements and Aperture later. I have never used Lightroom but I am sure it is great too. I got Aperture because it is an Apple product.

Before you fork out loads of $$$s give some of the freebies a go.

I recommend GIMP (just google it). It's almost as powerful as PS but cost zilch and is constantly being updated. Once you learn how to use it I doubt you'll see much benefit in paying for PS.

Other one's for really basic quick editing are Photoscape and Picasa.

Ignore GIMP unless your pain threshold is extremely high. Go online to Apple and Adobe and download the trial versions of photoshop CS, Photoshop elements, Lightroom and Aperture. Play with them all and pick the one that fits your style. My workflow goes almost 100% to Lightroom and a very occasional use of Photoshop but YMMV.
Bill

You have IPhoto on your new mac, right? I suggest you give that a try. I've become a fan of it after trying several other programs.

I have CS3 on my MacBook; came as a bonus when I upgraded from 2-4 gig RAM and 250 gig / 5600 rpm to 320/7200 HD; pretty much free. I spent $20 bucks on a shipped eBay Elements 4 for my PowerBook. I prefer to use the PowerBook. :)

Either (helpful!). Download a demo of both and spend some time trying them out as they both have their strong points and it tends to come down to personal preference
I use lightroom and photoshop every day for work and they integrate well together. The database and keywording in lightroom is fantastic, but haven't used Aperture since the second version.

I trust you're shooting in RAW?

What's wrong with GIMP?

Nothing is WRONG with Gimp, but many of my most useful plugins don't work and you have to be a bit of a UNIX nerd to figure out where stuff is, like the plugins and the ICC profiles and the printer drivers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom