software for editing underwater photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use lightroom, though it's the last non-subscriber version, so it doesn't import all raw formats, so I need to use the DNG converter first, but Lightroom is definately good for the white and colour balance. For really intricate edits, I transfer it across to Photoshop and do it there.

I am going to be "that guy" the one who recommends something other than LR. Before I do, it is fair to say that LR & PS are pretty much the industry standards.

Having said that, I use ON1 Photo Raw. I find that it can do everything that the combination of LR & PS. It also has some amazing deals (and in some cases may be free) to certain groups such as students, teachers, first responders, military & veterans.

The simple answer is to try them all. There is LR/PS from adobe, ON1, Darkroom, Dxo photo lab, Luminar, Affinity, Pixlr and a zillion others. Some are free, some are one-time buy, some are subscriptions. BUT most of them will let you try for a month free. Try them out. The big advantage of LR/PS is that there is a ton of free help available for them. If you love a challenge, try GIMP, a free photoshop clone. Quite fun but a pain.
Enjoy Bill

The simple answer is to try them all. There is LR/PS from adobe, ON1, Darkroom, Dxo photo lab, Luminar, Affinity, Pixlr and a zillion others. Some are free, some are one-time buy, some are subscriptions. BUT most of them will let you try for a month free. Try them out. The big advantage of LR/PS is that there is a ton of free help available for them. If you love a challenge, try GIMP, a free photoshop clone. Quite fun but a pain.
Enjoy Bill
If I may piggy back on your comment, we all think a little differently than each other. You might say that each of our minds are "wired" a little differently than everybody else's.

Most major photo-editing software will do pretty much everything that the casual user will want to do. The trick is to find one that works effectively for the way you think. I used to use Capture One Pro. It is an incredibly powerful piece of software, and I could do so much with it that it was truly amazing. It was not, however intuitive at all for me, and although I could get it to do what I wanted, it was often done with all of the grace and finesse of a bulldozer.

The advantage of giving several programs a try (as mentioned, most offer a 30 day free trial) is that you will have an opportunity to try them and find out what works best FOR YOU. I like ON1. You, however, might find it horribly convoluted in how it does things. If that is true, then the fact that I like it is completely irrelevant. We can make recommendations, and give you our opinions, but what really matters is when you go to edit an image and you think to yourself "OK, now THIS makes sense." When that day comes, then you will know that you have the right software.

After Adobe’s switch to a annual licensing model, I know mostly recommend Luminar, Darktable, or Capture One Pro.

Many people rely on Adobe software (Photoshop, Lightroom, Premere, After Effect, etc.), including my son, who is a professional photographer/videomaker/VR developer.
Personally I use instead a much cheaper software from Corel, name Paint Shop Pro. Got it for free with an MSI Laptop.
In a single program you get almost everything in the Adobe suite. Much simpler and effective for simple editing, albeit not so powerful for certain advanced effects.

After Adobe’s switch to a annual licensing model, I know mostly recommend Luminar, Darktable, or Capture One Pro.
If I didn't get it for free through work, I'd be in the same boat. Not a fan of subscription software. I can't even keep up with all the new stuff in an update anyway.

If I didn't get it for free through work, I'd be in the same boat. Not a fan of subscription software. I can't even keep up with all the new stuff in an update anyway.

I’m a software dev, so I get the reasons behind it (at least in the smaller software companies). But I tend to limit my subscriptions to stuff I use the most frequently or there isn’t a good FOSS (or buy once) alternative.

What do people think about GIMP? Seems to be a pretty powerful photo editing software package for a free open-source program.

I hate the subscription model many offer now days and refuse to use them unless someone else is paying.

I
I am going to be "that guy" the one who recommends something other than LR. Before I do, it is fair to say that LR & PS are pretty much the industry standards.

Having said that, I use ON1 Photo Raw. I find that it can do everything that the combination of LR & PS. It also has some amazing deals (and in some cases may be free) to certain groups such as students, teachers, first responders, military & veterans.
I have never heard of ON1. Can you share your experiences with it? Ease of use? Quality of images, especially as related to underwater photography correction? Is it a good solution for an average user who is not natural with computers? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom