Photo developing dillema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Just zoom in on the moon, do a cut and paste, drop it where you want it and then just lop off the top.

the K
actually that would look pretty bad without some pretty good PS TLC

Native sizing of D70 is 10.028 x 6.667 or 3008 x 2000 so the short side really needs to come up.

8x10 is a 4:3 style size better suited for medium format or PnS style cameras, not a size native to DSLR or 35mm film...

Makes for interesting printing options.. as i said.. go for 8.5 x 11 print instead

Thanks for all the tips, y'all. The 8x10 resizing appears to work for this image but probably not for the others. I don't have a photo printer so have to send out for it to be printed and thus limited by the sizes they offer. Might have to rethink on that printer idea now, though.

midwestdvr:
Thanks for all the tips, y'all. The 8x10 resizing appears to work for this image but probably not for the others. I don't have a photo printer so have to send out for it to be printed and thus limited by the sizes they offer. Might have to rethink on that printer idea now, though.
Where are you printing it and what format are you giving them the pic in?

I've found that the Photoshop format .psd is a pretty good option when giving out a pic to be printed.....

Most photo developers around here give you the option of printing it as a full 8x10 (with the top or bottom cropped) or as the full image (It's still on 8x10 paper, but there is a white band on either side of the image so you don't lose any of your picture). Even If I don't bring it up, they often ask me for my preference.

You are not limited by Hardware (printer), but only by what the lab is willing to do.

In PS if you want to print this on an 8x10 sized paper, just resize it so that the vertical size is 10", and let the horz dimention fall where it may. When you print, you just center the image. The term we used to use in the printing biz was full bleed which means to include all the image. The end result of course is White Space on both sides.

That however really does not matter because no print is really complete until you mount it, and in this case you would want a matt. You can drymount it, or use whatever process you desire (double sided photo tape is a poor mans drymount press) and position it on 11x14 foamcore or mount board. Then you just need to cut a matte the appropriate size.

You can have ALL this done by labs, and/or framing company. Expect to pay an arm and a leg if you choose to get it mounted and matted by a framing company (maybe $25 or more). Unfortunately there is really no way to get custom matts cut unless you want to purchase a matt cutter. The 45 degree bevel is somewhat essential for making the matte look good, and cutting it with an exacto knife will work, but it's difficult to make it look professional.

These types of issues are things that most photo 101 classes deal with, and if you ever decide to take a class, bonus, most colleges and darkrooms where such classes are done provide access to dry mount presses, matte cutters, and positioning tools.

instead of the photo size, change the canvas size, you'll get a white edge (or what ever color you have selected) that you can cut off. This way the picture won't get stretched.

Um, yeah. Non issue. Print it (have it printed) so the longest side fits, use a good paper cutter (guillotine-style) to trim off the white edges. Borrow the one at Kinko's for two swipes if you don't have a good paper paper cutter.

498l.jpg

And if you're framing, the matte you choose can conceal the white bits. Either way, you're fine.

CompuDude:
And if you're framing, the matte you choose can conceal the white bits. Either way, you're fine.

Unfortunately the matte will have to be custom cut.

Another option is to not bother with a matte, just center and mount it, and let the white boarders of the foam core, or mount board act as the matte. This is sometimes done when displaying fine art B&W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom