Photo courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
I always hate to give up hope for anything. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! At least out here in photo land, there's seldom occasion for dissention.

But there is so much to fight... er, talk about! :D

Negatives vs chromes... Film vs digital... Photoshop vs Paint Shop Pro... The list goes on forever!

I already know how to work a camera, but what I'ld like to learn in an underwater Photog class is how to get the fish to cooperate. I'ld like more pictures of fish faces instead of fish butts!

Hello,

Then you need more biology/ecology/naturalist than photo.

Ed

ebbdiver:
I already know how to work a camera, but what I'ld like to learn in an underwater Photog class is how to get the fish to cooperate. I'ld like more pictures of fish faces instead of fish butts!

I agree with Ed. :34: A photo class isn't going to teach you fish behavior. You also need to learn patience, stealth, and fish ESP!

blacknet:
Then you need more biology/ecology/naturalist than photo.

Those are separate specialty classes... (sorry, couldn't help myself)

TedJ:
Is this class around here?

The class is at Aqua Ventures which is just outside of Baltimore. Give them an call and see what they say. It would be nice to see if you hear the same story! Make sure you ask for Michael, he's the owner and the one who will be teaching the class so he'll be the most helpful. They haven't published their class schedule yet but Michael assures me it will be out in a few days. I'm on their mailing list so if you're interested I can forward the dates to you -- you just might have to remind me! wink

If I wanted to learn photography I'd go with a photographer rather than an instructor. I believe a course or even seminar is going to get you more than a sanctioned UW class or another plastic card.

For trial and error study go with a digicam. Even though the inital expense is larger, it pays off soon as you save on processing & film. A good 3mp camera will do to get high quality prints if you know how to use it.

Anybody really serious about UW photography can contact Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA. Very good school that has a 2 course underwater programm (each 7 weeks long). During breaks they usually have underwater workshops, and the Channel Island location ain't bad either.
http://www.brooks.edu/degrees_ss.asp
http://www.brooks.edu/underwater.asp

caveseeker7:
If I wanted to learn photography I'd go with a photographer rather than an instructor. I believe a course or even seminar is going to get you more than a sanctioned UW class or another plastic card.

For trial and error study go with a digicam. Even though the inital expense is larger, it pays off soon as you save on processing & film. A good 3mp camera will do to get high quality prints if you know how to use it.

Anybody really serious about UW photography can contact Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA. Very good school that has a 2 course underwater programm (each 7 weeks long). During breaks they usually have underwater workshops, and the Channel Island location ain't bad either.
http://www.brooks.edu/degrees_ss.asp
http://www.brooks.edu/underwater.asp

Cave seeker

you hit it right on the head wit that post. I will tell you i ahve learned more from fellow photogs then i did from the courses i have taken before college, now the ones im taking now are taught by Pro photograhers who just happen to teach to(they arent in it for the money they are there for the sharing of knowledge). also Brooks is a very good school, i want totake a class from them some day when i have the time and money (college has alot fo my time and $$$ right now)

personally take the class but don't take it as the end of a education its just the beginning of what you can learn. but also take as many images as you can because the more you take the more of a reference point for settings you will have to make the next image great.

Tooth

I enrolled in the PADI UW Photography Course during my recent trip aboard the Cayman Aggressor. The instructor was both a skilled diver and instructor. Although the course was not designed for the digital camera (my rig is a Canon S50 with SeaLife Strobe), the instructor was able to translate the fundamentals for me to benefit from his knowledge.

Being able to view the quality of the instructors work as well as his/her ability to communicate their knowledge to the less informed is a good way of determining if what is being offered is right for you. I was able to do both before enrolling and don't regret the cost ($150). My skills progressed throughout the week, and I was proud of what I was able to do.

Back
Top Bottom