Photo courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doole:
Well if there's still any doubt, I'd ask to look at the course outline.

Fair enough, but what kind of things are you looking for? I've been talking to a local shop about their class and I have mixed feelings about it. The instructor is a good teacher and experienced in both diving and photography. Does anyone have any specific recomendation for things I should look for or expect in this type of class?

Hello,

Dive shops are there for one thing, you teach you to dive not shoot photo's. Most dive shops suck at photography and does not know that much about photography. With the better classes out there you will not get a yogi button from some scuba agency.

A few questions you must ask yourself:
What type of photos/results do i want?
to what level do i want to take my photography?

when you evaluate instructors you need to ask yourself if you want images like that and would you be happy with that type work because that's how you will be trained. techniques vary, equipment varies, the only thing that does NOT vary is the basic photography rules/laws. If you want the basics then pick up a copy of 'photography' by upton, london, barber, etc..

You also need to match the class your taking with your equipment, i.e. you dont' show up to a dolphin workshop with a point/shoot camera. Or match the equipment with the class your taking, i.e. buy the equipment suited for a specific type class. Not all classes will be the same. You need to know what you will get out of the class, how it will benefit you and if it's really worth it.

Ed

Ask for what YOU want out of the course. If you only want to take vacation point and shoot tell the instructor that. If you really want to be able to have poster sized shots or publish ultimately, tell the instructor. If you really want to concentrate on natural light, macro, etc - tell the instructor.

Many dive shops may offer, say the PADI cert, but actually offer a "larger" course to suit each student based on experience, equipment, goals, interests, ability, time-frame etc. They have to meet the agency standards, but there is nothing that says they can't exceed these - and many do.

Most uw photo instructors I know want their students to tell them about their current experience with photography (land and uw), about what kind of diving they will doing, about the kind of equipment they will be purchasing if they haven't already...the more information about you that you provide, the better the course should be. Instructors don't really want to read out of the book or nag about things you already know! Instructors are also more than willing (or should be...if not, run) to share their experience with you and show you some of their work.

This assumes that you find an UW Photo instructor you feel comfortable with, of course.

cornfed:
Fair enough, but what kind of things are you looking for? I've been talking to a local shop about their class and I have mixed feelings about it. The instructor is a good teacher and experienced in both diving and photography. Does anyone have any specific recomendation for things I should look for or expect in this type of class?

Is the instructor experienced in underwater photography? Ask what the class includes. If it just covers basic photography skills, ie., aperature, exposure times (shutter speeds in film), composition, etc. then that can be taught with any camera set-up. If it's also a camera class, meaning you will learn to use your specific camera, make sure the instructor has actual experience using your camera, not just reading and showing you out of the manual.

The best class I took was one in which the instuctor did alot of hands on teaching. After a class on composition, he went on the dive me, we both took pictures of the same subjects. Back at the shop, we critiqued them, then went on another dive to do it again. I got to see first hand where my pics could be improved, not just alot of generic "if you'll do this it will be better next time." type of teaching. Understand? This class was not through a dive shop. It was with a camera shop in Coz.

< Back at the shop, we critiqued them, then went on another dive to do it again. I got to see first hand where my pics could be improved, not just alot of generic "if you'll do this it will be better next time." type of teaching.>

Dee is right on the money...seeing and discussing the shots and then getting to do it again is a great way to learn. I'd add asking if this type of interaction is available when you are choosing a course...remember to ask about developing times if you are using film as some remote areas do not have daily or one hour service!

You might also ask if the course has before and after shots that you will go through before getting in the water...it might be a useful learning tool to help you avoid some of the most common errors.

Dee:
Is the instructor experienced in underwater photography? Ask what the class includes. If it just covers basic photography skills, ie., aperature, exposure times (shutter speeds in film), composition, etc. then that can be taught with any camera set-up.
The instructor is both an experienced diver and underwater photographer. I like to play with cameras during my extended surface interval so I know the basics of photography. I talked to the instructor about this and expressed my reservations about just relearning those with a regulator in my mouth. He claims that the course will address the basics but in a context of how things differ underwater. He said we'd shoot a given subject at different distances in the pool to see how the water effects colors. He also said he has a little artificial reef to practice macro work with. Just getting to see that contraption might be worth the price of admission!

dee:
If it's also a camera class, meaning you will learn to use your specific camera, make sure the instructor has actual experience using your camera, not just reading and showing you out of the manual.
I'm in the process of acquiring a used Nikonos V system which is, by coincidence, what the instructor also uses.

alcina:
remember to ask about developing times if you are using film as some remote areas do not have daily or one hour service!
It's actually included in the class. He collects all the film, develops it and brings it to the critque sesson.

dee:
After a class on composition, he went on the dive me, we both took pictures of the same subjects. Back at the shop, we critiqued them, then went on another dive to do it again.
The shop also runs a fair number of local trips which I will hopefully be on this year. While I'm not sure how long the "dive, critique, dive,..." loop will officially last in class, I will have the opportunity to continue diving, sharing pictures and discussing technique with the instructor. In the end, I think the price of the class would be worth it just to foster this relationship. I'll most likely be bringing my photo album with me when I drop of my tanks and I don't want him to think I'm trying to get a free class.

Thanks everyone for you input.

Ps Dee, after I get my camera I'll likely be spending more time in this forum. :sgrin:

cornfed:
The shop also runs a fair number of local trips which I will hopefully be on this year. While I'm not sure how long the "dive, critique, dive,..." loop will officially last in class, I will have the opportunity to continue diving, sharing pictures and discussing technique with the instructor. In the end, I think the price of the class would be worth it just to foster this relationship. I'll most likely be bringing my photo album with me when I drop of my tanks and I don't want him to think I'm trying to get a free class.
It doesn't necessarily have to be "dive:critique:dive:" as long as he's hands on. I've seen some instructors conduct everything during the class, showing slides...good and bad, then send you off for the dives. You bring back the photos/slides for the critiquing.

Sounds like he's a very good instructor, more interested in teaching the course than selling a C-card. I agree, if he's a stable part of the shop, cultivating a relationship with him would be worth the price of the class. Good photo instructors in a dive shop are hard to find.

Ps Dee, after I get my camera I'll likely be spending more time in this forum. :sgrin:
Is this a threat or a promise? wink

Dee:
Is this a threat or a promise? wink

I was thinking about changing my signature do "This message sponsored by the Campaign for a Kinder Gentler Cornfed". But just this morning someone said I was being arrogant and suggested that if I "state a point without being an ass will tend to make your point more readable and less likely to be dismissed." Do you think there is any hope for me, Dee??

cornfed:
I was thinking about changing my signature do "This message sponsored by the Campaign for a Kinder Gentler Cornfed". But just this morning someone said I was being arrogant and suggested that if I "state a point without being an ass will tend to make your point more readable and less likely to be dismissed." Do you think there is any hope for me, Dee??

I always hate to give up hope for anything. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! At least out here in photo land, there's seldom occasion for dissention. It's just not allowed! :58: :biggrinba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom