Photo courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I searched through this section of the board for anything to do with photo classes or courses and the only thread i could find was:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3011&highlight=class

Thinking about when this was written, i was wondering if the structure of the course has changed in 2-3 years for various agencies and if any of the agencies have a good course?

I am thinking of getting this course for my girlfriend who knows plenty about photography above water, and has expressed an interest in doing so. In the time frame i am thinking of i believe as we are newish divers that our bouyancy will improve to a good level, but in the mean time i thought i would pose the question about whether the course is worth taking. She knows about how cameras operate and the various functions of the camera and effects etc. I think the only difference would be the blue-ing effect and lighting generally - as well as distance, would she learn anything new in this course, would it be worth the money? Also what kind of prices are these courses and does anyone know of a good dive store in FL (central) that would be able to help on this?

Our OW instructor was a keen photographer, with $5000 of equipment (no idea what), we havent seen his photos, but supposedly according to him, he is pretty descent. IF he can teach OW would he be able to teach the photo speciality with the PADI material (that is his OW instruction cert)? I dont know if when you become an instructor how far up the ladder you are allowed to teach if you have experience in that field. Its like when we were at school, you had to have a bachelors of education to teach kids, but a masters for the older teens or a doctorate (or lots of experience) to do the uni courses.

Please let me know if the courses are worth taking if you already know something about photography or if she should just trial and error the whole way!

A big part any agency santioned class is the experience of the Instructor and his/her ability to teach it well. Each agency is different but in PADI, an Instructor has to have XX number of dives in any chosen specialty before they are allowed to teach it.

I'd talk honestly to your instructor and explain your concerns. Trial and error can work to a certain degree but the guidance of an experienced photographer can be priceless.

As was mentioned in that old thread, Jim Church's book on Composition is a great one, as are several others on the market.

I took the UW photography course twice on liveaboard boats. Both times were great. I had been a news paper photographer in the past so I had a pretty good knowledge base. But both courses were worth the money. Just like any other course if all comes down to the instructor. Experience is the key. I also took a course/seminar from Jim Church, learned a lot from him too. He was a hoot!
You are correct, it is just the lighting and the distance but......

Good luck,

Joe

My buddy is a pretty decent amateur photographer with alot of experience for several years. Me, I can hold my own as well....worked in a photolab in college and took a few college photography courses.

This past summer we took Nikon School of Underwater Photography and learned a WEALTH of information. I can't recommend the course enough. Our instructor was a former Nikon representative for Nikonos and a personal friend of several famous U/W photographers.

You could also look into the course offerings from Cathy Church as well. She's got a fantastic course too.

Be prepared. You're going to pay a premium for the course, but it's well worth it. Our course from Nikon was $1400 and was all inclusive excluding airfare. Cathy Church's courses are a bit more.

PADI or SSI?? As said before, it all depends on the instructor. My buddy and I now feel we are able to teach an entry level weekend course to a novice photographer but can't hold a candle to taking a real course from a real instructor....if you know what I mean.

simbrooks

for learning photography for me it was more of by trial and error, but i learned the most about photography is with working with a gentlemen who shoots the local football team, and drill team on friday night, and the funny thing is that he isnt a professional but he produces some of the best images i have ever seen and the parents on the football/drill team love them, and he isnt even a professional, he is a insurance rep by day.

but as for underwater photography the way padi does it isnt correct, im sorry XX number of photodives isnt enough you could take photos all of your life and not get itright, but then if you study, critique and shoot it again and take that image that just pops off the paper that makes you a good photographer, now selling images and being a pro is a totally on a different level.

like Dee said look at the churchs books, and another one would be ansel adams book on the zone system would be another.

if your looking for a instructor to teach the class asked to see a porfolio or some examples of there work that should help you determine if it is worth your money. if your not intrested in the cert you could always post your images here and there would be some of us who would critque it for you. but also if you go on vaction to grand cayman take the time and go see cathy churches shop to see some of the photos on her wall, and look into one of her classes.

I wish i could show you some of my land work, but i havent had time to work on a personal site(one of several), i will have to work on that on the off season.

the best of luck to you and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask

Dan
aka
scubatooth

Thanks to all of you for your help, i shall bear in mind what you have said. I have a few resources at hand, our check-out dive instructor, a guy at another LDS is pretty keen too. I shall find that book by Jim Church, and then beyond that think about a course, but it sounds like if i can get good info from these other people that i shouldnt really waste money on the basic courses that may not really tell my girlfriend anything new about cameras that she hasnt already found from other land based photo courses.

Simon

simbrooks,

I can hook you up with a pro, he runs classes in bimini, bahamas and you get to spend a week playing with wild dolphins.

Ed

simbrooks once bubbled...
Thanks to all of you for your help, i shall bear in mind what you have said. I have a few resources at hand, our check-out dive instructor, a guy at another LDS is pretty keen too. I shall find that book by Jim Church, and then beyond that think about a course, but it sounds like if i can get good info from these other people that i shouldnt really waste money on the basic courses that may not really tell my girlfriend anything new about cameras that she hasnt already found from other land based photo courses.

Simon

I do think you're on the right track. If she knows how to handle a lens, not a whole lot changes underwater (except for backscatter!) and the agency courses are usually 'how to change the O-rings in a Nikonos'.

If you already know your way around a lens, the only other thing to learn underwater is this: if you think you're close enough to your subject, you're probably wrong.

Dee:
I'd talk honestly to your instructor and explain your concerns. Trial and error can work to a certain degree but the guidance of an experienced photographer can be priceless.

Sorry drag this thread up, but...

What kind of questions should you ask if you're trying to evaluate a photo course? Some people recommended seeing a portfolio or asking about published work. Anything else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom