Phoenix Area Dive Buddies? (Or groups?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traveling to San Carlos with Phoenix and Tucson organized trips has been enjoyable. I've never encountered any problems. San Carlos is a resort community with a sizable American and Canadian community. Diving and sport fishing are the major draws.

Desert Divers out of Tucson has run twice a month trips to San Carlos for many, many years. I've never heard of anyone on their trips having any issues.

I have in-laws in Cave Creek that I see from time to time but have never dove while there. Any dive shops between Cave Creek and Lake Pleasant? If not what shop is closest to Cave Creek?

Not really anything b4 the lake - just west of Cave Creek is the Sonoran Desert Reserve almost all the way to I-17. If you're familiar with Cave Creek, the Carefree Hwy. extends past I-17 and then past Lake Pleasant on the south side.

options:

An option is LP Scuba. A few miles south along I-17 also. They have their own boat at the lake and are closed Tues. & Weds - but open Sunday also. They're also going to be open earliest on the weekends - 8am. L.P. Scuba « Premier Dive Training

Last edited:
There's Destination Scuba on Bell between 43rd and 51st. Very nice people, good sized shop, good selection and their own indoor pool. It's technically between Cave Creek and Lake Pleasant, you just have to drop South to bell which isn't a big deal, it's where all the action and shopping is in North Phoenix anyways!

It's actually east of 43rd though - 4139 W. Bell. Nice deeper pool, I used it occasionally when it used to be Scuba Specialties. 91st Ave (Lake Plesant Pkwy.) seems like a long drive from Cave Creek just to go back north...

Last edited:
Not really anything b4 the lake - just west of Cave Creek is the Sonoran Desert Reserve almost all the way to I-17. If you're familiar with Cave Creek, the Carefree Hwy. extends past I-17 and then past Lake Pleasant on the south side.

Some options:

A third option is Tres Aquas - decent shop but still farther south. http://tresaquas.com/ Mon-Sat. only.

FYI, Tres Aquas closed a few years ago, but their primary instructor staff went to LP Scuba.

thx, haven't been by there in a couple years. I hate when that happens and they don't take down their website because I checked it b4 posting that...

Thank you folks for the replies!

I'm honestly a bit nervous to go to San Carlos. Mexico looks absolutely beautiful and I would love to visit, but with the crime as it is down there right now it makes me a bit nervous. I might would visit Cozumel. I do hope that Mexico becomes safer, would love to visit but that's a whole other topic.

Night dives starting out sound risky, how do the afternoon dives work? And is it only Thursday afternoons? What about weekends? I'll definitely check out ArizonaScuba.com

I guess that's a good idea, simply setting a date and seeing if anyone wants to come along. Again, my big thing is I'm worried that I might hold some one back or be too much of a newb, I don't want a dive buddy to have to feel like they have to instruct me or help me in any way, which they shouldn't need to as I'm pretty confident with what I've learned thus far.

I'll check more shops out as well and see if they can tell me anymore about organized clubs/groups, that's what I'm looking to find right now.
Check out ElMar Dive Center in Mesa. Tonia, the owner, has scheduled trips to San Carlos on a regular basis. I been on multiple trips and we have never had a problem. They are a great group of people to go with. They also dive lake pleasant with Diver Down.

Hello!

Recently I became a certified OWD. Unfortunately my built in dive buddy is taking a little extra time to get her certification. I would still love to dive and get some practice in as I've definitely found a new passion in this amazing hobby. Unfortunately I'm a newb, a complete rookie so I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to buddy up with me or if any groups would have me along.

Just thought I would ask. Would love to do some local diving out at lake pleasant and maybe graduate up to Southern California when I get comfortable there.

If anyone would be willing or know anywhere I could do so let me know! Thanks :D

Do you Facebook? Join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/168151187359/

Hello!

Recently I became a certified OWD. Unfortunately my built in dive buddy is taking a little extra time to get her certification. I would still love to dive and get some practice in as I've definitely found a new passion in this amazing hobby. Unfortunately I'm a newb, a complete rookie so I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to buddy up with me or if any groups would have me along.

Just thought I would ask. Would love to do some local diving out at lake pleasant and maybe graduate up to Southern California when I get comfortable there.

If anyone would be willing or know anywhere I could do so let me know! Thanks :D

When do you want to go to the lake (pleasant). I have hundreds of dives there and am happy to introduce you to some of my fishy friends. Have you been to any of the shore dive spots? Did you get your certification at Pleasant? My best day is Saturday. Let me know. I have extra tanks too.

Mohave Lake is another place to go if you don't want to get your regs salty. Simple in and out and there are a few "wrecks" to dive on. It's an overnight destination, obviously.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom