Phoenix Area Dive Buddies? (Or groups?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats not bad. I think the water temp went down to around 60 during our OW dives, and that started around 30 ft. What thickness was the suit you use? It would be nice to get a few dives in over this winter. Would also give me another reason to get out of the snow up here!

Depending on the computer it reads somewhere 48-52F as the min temp.

During Feb 20-40ft is normal. This time of year 5ft - can't read you own compass is expected.

I typically run a good 5mm suit year round. Adding in a hooded vest when it gets cold. Early summer I picked up a 7mm but have not been in cold water to try it.

The lake has thermoclines and visibility layers as well.

Cool. So I guess a 5mm would be a good one to get. I will slowly be buying equipment and was wondering what type of suit I should be looking at. Probably wont be doing any tropical locations for awhile, so a 5mm would probably work for most "local" places like LP, Mohave, and maybe So Cal?

Also depends on how cold tolerant you are. The 5 has served me well for years. Adding the hooded vest did increase the range. It is also a good suit that seals well and has minimal water flushing through it. Good stretch and is very form fitting, not a lot of water pockets inside. For me, it has been a very good suit.

I have been chilled a couple of times. Really cold a couple (one was when someone helped zip me up and folded the hood making a funnel for the cold water down my back). But for everything except multiple dives in the coldest water I like the 5.

Im not really sure how cold I can stand or for how long, generally speaking, I dont care for much cold at all, but that alone wont stop me from doing dives. Our OW dives got down to around 60 I think, and that was pretty chilly, but we were wearing shortys (i dont remember the thickness of those, and they were well used). My legs started to cramp up at the end of the 3rd dive, but Im not sure if that was due to the cold or not. Either way it was tolerable for the time we were diving, significantly longer, and I probably would have gotten too cold.
I can imagine cold water down your back is a little uncomfortable.

If you're still looking for a dive buddy hit me up. I'm a new diver with the same thoughts and concerns. I have 10 Dives 6 are ocean Dives and the other four are there at Pleasant

I was out last week. 70F at the surface and 68F at 94ft.

If anyone wants to get in some dives I am always happy to splash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom